Chapter 5

After school, I went to work and started shelving books into the fiction section. It was becoming difficult to focus on anything because I still hadn't heard from Hayley. Oh, What I would give to have her show up and say hello to me.

"You're putting that book in the wrong spot" a voice said. I turned around to see Hayley. My eyes widened. Her hair was a mess and she had dirt smudged on her face. Her clothes were different though.

"Where the hell have you been?" I said in a hushed voice. She looked around and then for no reason at all started pulling me down to the other end of the aisle.

"Remember the guy who broke into my house when we first met?" She said.

"Yeah, but what does he have to do with this?" I asked.

"His "friends" almost killed me" she said.

"What do you mean almost?" I asked.

"My old friend Chad saved me." she said. She started tearing up. There was no one around so I pulled her into a comforting hug as she silently cried onto my shoulder. I held her close and didn't want to let go.

"Did anyone else get hurt?" I asked.

"No, the guys that got me were gone and Chad showed up and saved me" she said.

"What did they do to you?" I asked. She started crying harder, "Shh... You don't have to say anything until you're ready" I said. After a couple minutes she stopped crying and let go of me. I looked at my phone.

"Well, at least it's time for me to get off work" I said. I the books back in the back for someone else to do and left with Hayley.

"Do you want to go out for dinner?" I asked. She shook her head. The drive back home was silent. When we got there my eyes widened... I saw my parents cars and smoke coming from the back yard. Before Hayley got out of the car I grabbed her wrist to stop her from getting out.

"My parents are home" I said. Her eyes widened.

"What do we do" she asked.

"I'm going to go inside and head to my room. I'll open the window for you and you can stay in my room tonight. I have a bathroom connected to my room too so if you need to leave and get clothes from your old place you can. You need to shower though, you look like you were buried alive." I said. She nodded and I let go of her. She snuk ober to the side of the house where my window was. I grabbed my stuff and walked into the house. I snuck into my room before my parents could notice and opened the window.

"Sorry for the wait" I said. I held out my hands so I could help her out.

"It's fine" she said as she took my hands and climbed into my room.

"Did you ever call the cops?" I asked. She shook her head.

"I was afraid theyd ask about where I was staying" she said. I nodded. I go get you some food. Don't use the bathroom till I come back because my parents might find out that you're here." I said. She nodded and I left the room. My parents were in the backyard grilling. I snuck into the kitchen and made two sandwiches, and put chips on a plate while I also got a glass of water.

"Why two?" Mom asked. I jumped and turned around.

"I'm really hungry?" I said.

"we're making food. We havent been home for awhile and we wanted to eat dinner as a family." She said.

"I have lots of work to do and I'm exhausted already" I said.

"Okay, tomorrow then?" She asked. I nodded and went to my room. I handed her the food I got and she scarfed it down.

"When's the last time you ate?" I asked.

"Last time I was here" she said. My eyes widened.

"TWO DAYS!" I asked. She nodded and went back to eating. I ate half my sandwich and have her the rest of my food. She looked at me.

"Aren't you going to eat?" She asked.

"I did... You need to eat too though" I said. She smiled to herself as she ate the rest of the food. For some reason it felt right to take care of her... I don't even know. I watched her eat. When she finished, I took the plates into the kitchen and cleaned up. I grabbed a soda bottle out of the fridge and brought it back to my room. Hayley was standing up next to the bathroom door.

"Can I use the bathroom?" She asked.

"Yeah" I said. She went into the bathroom and I flopped onto my back. I felt my eyes get heavy and soon I drifted off to sleep. At least she's back in one piece.