Chapter Fifty Eight: Just Leave Me Alone

Chapter Fifty-Eight: Just Leave Me Alone

"It's the jocks," Jayden plainly informed us. His eyes apologetically tried to catch mine but I got behind Austin so that I couldn't be seen. "I even showed someone the proves."

It was Sunday after school, right before the day of the tournament and we were all in the coffee shop the Vanessa worked in. The lady, employer of Vanessa generously gave up the cafe for us for two hours and one has already passed, us going over the plan twice before Jayden decided to say that.

Mia looked between us and cleared her throat. "Well Evelyn said that there might be a possibility..."

"I mean, maybe yeah and the logic is pretty cool too but I don't' know, whatever that is, it all points to the jocks."

Mia gasped as her phone buzzed.

"Oh my god, Eliot just called me, I'll be right back."

She scattered away from the table, outside of the café and picked up the phone, squealing noiselessly.

Sam sighed, crossing his arms, looking at his sister. "I swear to god she was never like that."

Vanessa rolled her eyes and leaned back on her chair. "Love makes you do stupid things, Carrasco."

Sam turned around to look at her at the same time when Vanessa realized what she'd just said. They stared at each other wild eyed, then turned away, both blushing like a tomato. I automatically looked at Jayden to share a sneaky grin when I remembered that we weren't talking and I looked at something else behind him.

It wasn't doing much, I could still feel his eyes on me when I looked down on the table in front of us, feeling irritated.

Why was the face that made me feel butterflies in my stomach now made me want to punch it flat?

I got up from the table as the other starts indulging themselves in gossip at something that happened recently and walked outside. It was starting to get colder and colder since December was nearly almost there and the first thing I heard after getting out was Mia's giggly voice.

"I know... yeah... what's with her?... don't worry, punch her in the face..."

It was a whole two minutes later when she saw me standing there and smiled, as if Eliot wasn't on the other side of the phone, but in front of her. "Love, I'll call you back later. Okay, bye."

She hung up and sprinted over to me, all jumpy and giggly and shit. "What is it Evelyn?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Love?"

She immediately caught on on what I was talking about and yawned. "We came up with it last week, don't try to make me feel shit for it. What is it though?" She turned around to look at the guys. "Do you guys need something?"

I shook my head, looking over to the sky. "No, I just came out to see the outside." For some reason, I just loved the golden hour, even though it was the beginning of winter, the sun was still warm, orange and bright on us.

"It's pretty, I know," she agreed and looked over at the sky too.

"Can I tell you something if you promise me to not let it out to anyone?" I didn't look away from the sky and asked, clasping my arms tightly behind my back.

I could tell from the corner of my eyes that she had her eyes on me but nevertheless I tried not to look at her because I knew if I did, I could never say it and I needed to.

"Okay." Mia said shortly and I was glad that she didn't disagree first. I had no idea why, of all people, I was choosing her to tell this but I guess she and I shared something special, even though I loved all of the guys.