six - strange days

"It's really cold in October, here in Denver." I say, pulling my thin jacket closer around me as Austin and I walk around to school.

Austin wraps an arm around me and rubs my shoulders, warming me a bit. I smile and nudge him, making him laugh. "Where did you guys live before you moved here?"

"Miami," I say, looking at my boots as we walk. "My mom and dad--" I cut myself off, not really wanting to tell him about my parents yet. "Um, nevermind."

"You don't have to talk about your parents if you don't feel comfortable with it," He tells me, rubbing my shoulders once again. "I won't force or pressure you, but when you're ready to tell me, I'm there with an opened ear."

It's quite amazing having Austin as a friend. He's very playful, yet caring and respectful towards me. I can tell he wants to know more about me, but he never pushes a subject if I'm not comfortable with it. He's just an overall amazing and great person.

So far, the only things I've told him is that our parents left us, meaning; Laura and I, and that I'm not a virgin (which was random of him to ask, but I answered regardless).

Austin has told me about his parents' divorce, which was his father in an affair, so he didn't like talking about that much, he's told me that he can write songs (although I won't believe him), and that he's never had a girlfriend or, get this, gotten kissed. I teased him about that last one, and he just blushes and stays quiets.

I have to admit, it's pretty cute when he blushes or is embarrassed.

"You're an amazing friend," I say and give him a soft smile as I look up at him. "You're probably the best someone has treated me. Other than my sister."

"It's no problem," Austin says and nudges me once again. "Hey, speaking of your sister, I heard Ross and Laura were going out to dinner soon, via eavesdropping on my brother while he's on the phone."

I laugh and shove him. "That's so rude, doofus."

He laughs, too and then we get to the front of the school. Austin nudges me and points to a group of people by the bushes of the school. It wasn't too big, but as far as I could see, it looked like they were crowded around someone. "Let's check it out." He says and we sprint over there.

As we get close enough I can hear a shaky feminine voice say, "Look, I'm sorry, but I really don't have any money. M-My mom lost her job and we're on--"

I then hear a deeper voice, who I'm supposing is a male say, "Well, I guess my buddies will have a little fun with you, aye? I mean, since you can't pay us with money."

Then there's a sound of a clothing getting ripped, but I quickly make my way over to the scene, not needing to hear anything else. Austin follows me, but I'm too worried about the girl to care.

I now have a clear view when she screams, "No, don't!"

"Hey!" I yell, my face flaring with anger. They all move away from the girl to look at me. I gesture for the girl to come my way and she does as quickly as she can, running into my arms and hugging me tightly.

"What the hell are you guys doing to her?" Austin asks, walking in front of the girl and I.

"That bitch owes me money," He says bitterly. "If she can't pay with money, she can pay another way."

The girl hugs me tighter and I rub her head, soothingly. "Touch her again, you'll be dealing with me." I say and turn, ready to walk again

Then someone says, "Am I supposed to be scared of a girl?"

I release the girl and turn back around, knowing it's the same voice that threatened the girl, I walk up to him and grab his collar. "No, you're not supposed to be scared of a girl," I say as I grip his collar tighter, choking him. "but you're supposed to be scared of me."