sixteen - returning enemy

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Ally asks Austin as she grabs her things from her locker for biology.

"Because it's acceptable now." Austin says, smiling while he closes his locker, already having his things.

Ally chuckles and shakes her head. "No, it's not," she informs him. "It's still rude, it's still creepy, and I don't like it."

The blond boy slouches a bit and scrunches his eyebrows. "Oh."

"Austin, you need to realize that relationships aren't like the movies," she giggles out, closing her lockers. "this is real life, therefore, I don't like you staring at me."

Austin nods and stuffs his hands in his pockets. "I feel really embarrassed that I'm acting like a thirteen year old who's in their first relationship while you're all mature and stuff."

Ally smiles and closes her locker to step closer to him. "You know half of what I've been through, Clumsy. I'm sure you know that I had to grow up fast. You, on the other hand... you don't, so don't. I like you; your innocence is adorable. You like me; there's not a thing innocent about me, but you like it, so that's how our relationship, or friendship, or whatever this is, works."

Austin grins at her and nods. "But seriously, you should consider switching one of your electives to something that involves writing or something because you word things so nicely."

"I'll consider it," Ally agrees, a soft smile on her face. "while we're in this little 'cupcake stage' or whatever, I have to ask: have you broken things off with Valerie?"

He begins to pull something put of his back pocket while he says, "I'm sure it's wrong to dump via text, but..."

She grabs the phone he's handing to her. Ally turns it on and sees a passcode. "It's locked."

"Oh, it's 11261979; that's the date of my mom's birth."

"I thought boys were more protected over their phones and whatnot," Ally says, typing in the numbers. "I mean, majority of the boys I've known never gives a girl their password or whatever."

"It's not like I have anything to hide," Austin shrugs. "well, my texts with my mom are pretty embarrassing, but that's it."

Ally shakes her head at him. "No, they don't lock their phones and everything because there's embarrassing stuff- you know what? Forget it."

Austin shrugs and leans on the locker as she reads the texts to Valerie.

"You barely text her back," she giggles, looking at him. "the second text you ever sent her was you breaking things off with her and then she spammed again."

"Well, I never told you, but our first date didn't go exactly well, nor did that day at the mall. So, I never really texted her back."

"Good," Ally says and hands him back his phone. "She annoys the fuck out of me."

Austin's about to comment on his best friend's, or girlfriend's, remark, but they're interrupted by Jessica running towards them, calling Ally's name.

Once she reaches them, she stands in front of the two, slightly out of breath. "Oh my--- Okay, I'm sorry for unnecessarily yelling, but I meant to tell you this the other day that the incident happened, but I forgot. So, anyways, I have a girlfriend! Ally, I have a girlfriend! I mean, it shouldn't be shocking, right? But it is!"

"Jessica has never really had stable relationships with girls," Austin cuts in, looking at Ally as he explains. "this meaning both platonically and romantically."

Ally smiles at her friend. "I'm really happy for you, Jes. Does she go to this school?"

"She does now," Jessica says, still grinning. "she transfered school just for me! Well, her parents got a divorce and her mom came here, but she's closer with her dad, yet she chose to come here to be with me! Isn't that romantic!"