twenty - better days

It actually scares Ally a bit that she's depressed. Yeah, she has been all of this time, but now she knows, it's just weird for it to settle. How do you even let something like this settle? Is she supposed to be okay with it? Supposed to be shock?

As she's brushing her teeth Monday morning, Ally just stares at herself in the mirror for a moment. She looked the same, her smile was still beautiful to her, she didn't feel sad. Okay, so maybe it wasn't a feeling; it was a subconscious illness.

"Okay, Ally, let's start giving prep talks," she murmurs to herself, grabbing a brush to brush her long hair. "First off, you're not going to let Kira affect you today. Being bitter isn't going to make her go away. Next, you're going to ignore Austin..." she sighs at this and places the brush down gently, looking in the mirror for a moment. Did she really wanna do that?

Sighing, she says, "He hurt you, Ally, and you won't put up with that. You're nothing like Jasper, Ally. You are nothing like them." But as she says this, her nails dig into her and she shuts her eyes forcefully, trying to concentrate. But something takes over.

"You look beautiful, you know." He says in the sweetest voice, snaking his arms around her waist from behind as she stood in front of the tall mirror, checking out her dress.

Ally loved it. Yellow was her favorite color. Laura told her it made her eyes sparkle even more. It's a happy color, though, so it makes her glow regardless. But there's something about this dress that has just adored. She just felt and looked truly... beautiful.

Placing her small hands over his, she grins at him in the mirror. "Thank you. I really like it."

"What are you wearing it for?" He question, draping his head to lightly kiss her neck. "Thinking about taking me somewhere tonight? I don't have plans."

She giggles and moves her neck to give him more skin for him to access. "Uh, no reason, really. I just bought it because I wanted to. I think I look nice in it."

Jasper scrunches his eyebrows and pulls away. "Bought it for yourself? Ally, you look too damn good for you to not have bought it have someone," he scoffs and then cockily gives a smile. "You don't have to be embarrassed to dress up for you boyfriend, Ally. I don't mind."

"It's not for you, Jasper."

"Who's it for, then?"

"I told you: myself. I like it."

Jasper rolls his eyes and pulls away from her. "You don't buy a fucking dress like that because you like it. You buy it to impress someone. And if it's not to impress me, it's to impress someone else! Who the hell are you trying to impress, Ally!"

Ally turns and crosses her arms, glaring at him. "No one! I'm not trying to impress anyone, Jasper! I just like it! Ever thought of that?! Pull your head out of your butt and listen to me for once in your life, Jasper!" She screams, finally fed up with his possessiveness that's been going on got a while.

Then, it happens. He's pushing her in the mirror and holding her there by her neck. "Maybe you should be a faithful bitch and stop dressing for others guys who aren't me!"

Ally kicks him off with her foot, right in his stomach to knock the air out of him. "What the hell's your problem?!"

But he fires back, throwing a punch at her face. Fortunately, she moves and his hand goes straight into the glass mirror. Ally gasps and turns to see a wild crack.

When she comes back to her senses, she's not digging her nails into her skin or hyperventilating or even crying. She's blankly staring into her reflection. Her doe eyes, her pink lips, her pale skin; it was all there. She was herself.