twenty-six - he's not like him

"Hello, Ally, and how are you doing today?" Her social worker asks, sitting at the counter as Ally puts different fruits into a bowl.

"I'm doing quite great, actually," she says, placing cut up cantaloupe in the bowl. "And before you ask, yes, it's about Austin. And no, I don't wanna talk about it."

"So... you're in a great mood from your boyfriend but don't wanna talk about it? Why's that?"

"Because you don't need to know every detail about my life," she smirks, putting the rest of the fruit back into the fridge. "But... he's taking me on a date tonight, and I'm excited for it. The last time we went on a date, it was a complete disaster."

"And why did it end up like that?"

Ally munches down on a grape as she says causally, "I told him I love him."

This makes the woman irks her eyebrow. "Love him? Ally, you haven't even been separated from Jas—" she pauses to correct herself, not wanting to trigger Ally. "Him, my apologies, for a full year."

Ally shrugs, rolling her eyes. "Shouldn't you be happy for me? You were happy just last month when I told you about him."

"You just told me about him last month and now you're in love with him?" Her social worker speaks, irking her eyebrow. "Ally, I don't want you to repeat what happened last time."

"Austin isn't like Jasper," Ally speaks confidently, shaking her head. "Kels, I'm a teenager still. I'm gonna fall in love plenty of times with different people. Some good, some horrible. Austin is the good one."

"You said that about—"

"Austin treats me like a princess. No less. I know how it feels to be mentally and physically abused. If he does either, I'll let you know. But as for now, he's perfect and everything I deserve." Ally defends, making the women promptly stop talking.

After a pause, the woman asks,"What do you like most about him? One thing off the top of your head."

Ally swallows another piece of fruit as she replies almost instantly, "He understands," is all she says with a small smile. "He doesn't exactly understand me, but he understands why I'm the person I am. Austin loves and respects me either way."

The social worker smiles and gives a nod. "Okay. How about your dieting? Have you been eating good?"

//

"I'm pretty sure buying pizza off the street isn't safe," Ally laughs as the man gives them both a slice of pizza.

"Probably not safe, but good." Austin laughs with her as he takes a bite. "Try it!"

Ally bites into the cheesy slice, trying not to laugh as she chewed it. He was waiting for her final thought.

As she swallows, she grins at him before saying, "That tastes like grease and cheese."

"So that means it's great," Austin exclaims, grinning at her. He takes a bite out of his pizza as they walk down the street together, just silently enjoying their pizza. "I'll totally take whatever you don't finish."

"Greedy, eh?" She laughs, looking up at him as they walked towards a bench.

"Can't deny that."

"So... my social worker brought you up," Ally says, looking up at him BBC as they sat down. "I told her I loved you. She tried to talk me out of it."

He frowns, looking down at her. "Why's that?"

Ally shrugs, picking off a pepperoni and plopping it in her mouth. "She thinks I'm repeating the process of the... Jasper situation. Falling in love too fast."