ten - warming up

"Aren't you cold in that?" Austin questions, raising an eyebrow as I get to my locker.

I glare at him, since he obviously sees I'm shivering. In Miami, at this time, the coldest it got was 50°. It's, like, 30° here. It's so hard adjusting to a new climate like this.

I attempt to pull the sleeves of my shirt over my freezing hands, although the farthest it goes is to my palms. "I don't have a lot of warm clothes, you know. I'm from Miami."

Austin sighs and pulls his sweatshirt over his head, taking it off to give it to me. I'm about to reject his offer, but Austin just shakes his head and throws it to me. "You're probably feeling way more cold than me and your already pale; just take it."

I huff at him, but pull the warm sweatshirt over her head. I'm very petite compared to him, so I smile when I realize I can pull the sleeves over my entire hand.

"Better?" He asks me, smirking, seeing I completely warmed up to the oversized shirt quickly.

I roll my eyes and punch his shoulder before doing my combination. I hear him fake whimper and turn to give him a snarky remark, but once I turn his way, I see a honey blonde, hazel eyed girl staring at Austin with a nervous expression.

Her friends are behind her, ushering the girl to come over here.

"Cute honey blonde," I tell Austin as I open my locker. He looks at me confused, so I point my head in the direction of the girl. "Go flirt."

"No way," Austin stubbornly declines my request. "I'm not going to flirt with someone I have no interest in whatsoever."

I frown at him. "But she's all nervous, and you don't know someone unless you talk to them."

"Ally, I don't want---"

"Um, hi, Austin." A voice says, interrupting their bickering.

I nudge him and give him a pointed look.

Sighing, he turns to the girl with a slight smile. "Hey," he greets her. "do I know you or did I use your notes or---?"

"Oh, no," she tells him, flashing him a nervous smile. "Um, we're in a few classes together, I'm Valarie. You seem pretty cool, so I was hoping you'd like to, um... I don't know, um..."

I'm pretty sure Austin already knows what she's trying to ask, but doesn't help her get the words out.

Thankfully, or sadly, I step in their conversation with a smile. "I think she's trying to ask if you'd like to sit with her at lunch."

I know he'd probably be upset if I set him up for an actual date, so sitting at lunch seems more appropriate.

Valerie nods frantically and grins at me for a moment before turning back to Austin. "Yeah, um, so lunch? You can sit with me and my friends! If you'd like, is."

Austin gives her a tight smile as he nods his head. "Of course, lunch. Just meet me by the cafeteria entrance on the north side of the school."

Valerie nods and grins at the both of us before going back to her friends and squealing.

I smirksl and hits his arm when he pouts at me. "Lighten up, Blondie. She's cute. Maybe you'll get that first kiss of yours."

Austin's face reddens and he leans his head on his locker, groaning. "You're ridiculous."

The bell rings, meaning it's time for us to head to biology.

"Let's go, Blondie." I tease, shutting my locker and heading to class.

- -

"Biology is such an unnecessary subject," Austin murmurs to himself as he reads his textbook for the worksheet our substitute gave us.