twenty-eight - confessed apology

"Laura?" A voice asks as she and Ross enter through the doors of the building.

Laura looks to the waiting chairs and sees Kira. Confusion strikes her as she wonders why the girl is at the police station. "Kira? Why are you here?"

"Jasper."

This makes Laura blood boil for just a moment. She holds her composu enough to ask her, "So it was you who brought him directly to Ally? Haven't you done enough to Ally in Miami?"

"Look, Laura, I didn't bring him here to tournament Ally," she admits, standing from her spot and going over the woman. "I wanted him to apologize and he agreed to apologize, so he flew down here."

"Of course he agreed to apologized; we left without no warning to anyone. He just wanted to see Ally again," Laura snaps, rolling her eyes. "It's bad enough you put us in a position where getting a restraining order felt impossible, but then you bring the man to our doorstep? Move the fuck out of my way, Kira."

Laura pushes past the teenage girl, Ross following after. They go to the front desk in and check themselves in.

"How much is his bail?" Ross asks as she's filing out her papers.

"$600," Laura scoffs, shaking her head. "For... assault itself and assault on minor."

"I'll go half with you, if you'd like," Austin says, shrugging. "I don't want you spending $600 on that horseshit."

Laura chuckles lightly while she's still writing. "I'm not really bailing him out, Austin. I'm acting like I'm going to bail him out, so I can get a confession out of him and get some sort of justice for Ally."

After finishing, a guard takes them back to a holding cell.

Jasper is the only one in the cell and he looks board is hell. "You guys have ten minutes." The guard says, nodding at the two of them before exiting.

Jasper looks up at the sight of his visitors and to say he's shocked would be an understatement. Laura smirks at him from outside the bars, crossing her arms. "Long time no see, asshole."

Jasper recovers from his shock to get up and towards the bars. He gives Ross a look and scoffs. "Do you and Ally have matching boyfriends? That's cute."

Rolling her eyes, Laura stares at the boy with cold eyes. "Look, I don't feel like moving again, so I have proposition for you."

"Keep talking."

"Your bail is $600. I don't think Kira has it because you would've been out of here by now, but I do. I'm willing to pay your bail right now if you leave Colorado tonight."

"I got a round trip. My plane doesn't leave until tomorrow."

"That works, too," Laura shrugs, shaking her head at him. "Because if I don't bail you out in the next... maybe, ten hours, then you'll be going to the county jail for a month."

"For what?" Jasper questions, irking his eyebrow. "If anything, I was defending myself. His brother is the one that hit me first."

"Not what the report says," Ross finally speaks, smirking. "Besides, Austin had assault charges, too. I bailed him out."

"Anyway, I'll bail you out on two terms."

"Go ahead."

"Number one: leave Ally alone. You've done enough to her and you don't even feel remotely sorry for it. Number two—"

"I actually do feel sorry. That's why I came down here in a round trip," Jasper defends himself. Sighing, he shakes his head and looks into Laura's eyes. "Look, I was in a bad place of mind when I was with Ally. She felt like the only person who hadn't left me, so I had to make sure keep her around—"

"Jasper, I don't want to hear your bullshit excuse for traumatizing my sister."

"I know, but hear me out. My mom died and my dad didn't give a shit about me. Ally was there through it all. I couldn't lose her, too. When she'd have doubts about us or wore clothes that got other dudes' attention, I always thought they were signs of her wanting to leave me. That's... That's when I started beating her for every little thing she did. At the time, I felt like I was such a good boyfriend because she was still so in love with me.

But she wasn't in love with me. She was just scared to not be in love with me and I didn't realize that. I genuinely thought she liked getting strangled sometimes because she would always provoke me—"

"It was not Ally's fault—"

"I know... but at the time, Laura, you have to understand that Ally was my life. You were trying to rip that from me, which is why I made her cut you off. I have no hard feelings against you or Ally; I've grown so much in the last year without her to see my wrong. All those times that I beat her to a pulp, or called her useless or pathetic, or choked her up... they were out of love. I'm sorry to you, and if you could delay this message to Ally, I'm sorry to her, too."

There's silence in the room after his apology. Ross was in shock; he knew Ally had a past with abuse, but never as bad as what Jasper described. Laura was disgusted, to say the least.

Taking a breath, Laura closes her eyes to not let any tears fall from her eyes. After composing herself, Laura starts with, "There's no reasoning or excuse you can give me to not make me believe you are piece of scum. Do you know what you did to Ally? She has PTSD from what you did to her. She was finally start to be happy again from the position you put her in and you decide to show up at her doorstep. For that, I'm not bailing you out and you will be facing time in an actual prison."

Jasper looks at Laura likes she's crazy. Suddenly, he glares at her and splats, "Fuck you, Laura. I'm genuinely sorry that I did that, but I'm not going to fucking prison for it. It was a mistake and I was young, and you have no proof of anything, anyway."

"A mistake? You were beating her for eight months straight. I don't know how long the emotional abuse was, but it probably has a longer lifespan. Let's also not talk about how to forced her into having sex with you before we left Miami."

"Forced? I didn't force shit. I didn't rape Ally; that's what I'm sure of. You weren't there."

"It was coerced rape," Laura splats, getting closer to the bars. "You were being threatening towards her when she said she wasn't ready. I know that much."

"But she never said no."

Ross grabs Ally's waist before she can try to attack him through the bars. "Calm down. You're gonna end up where he's at."

A guard enters the room again and looks at the couple. "Ten minutes are up. Please say your goodbyes and check out at the front desk."

Laura inhales deeply, then releases the breath. She looks at Jasper with cold eyes as she says, "I'll see you in court, asshole."

They exit the room with many curses from Jasper, but they both ignore it as they're walking to the front desk to check out.

"You got him to confess to what he did, but how's there any proof of that? We didn't record or anything." Ross questions while they're exiting the building.

Laura smirks and goes into the pocket of her jacket to pull out a smalll recorder device. "No, you didn't. I am a journalist, Ross. I know what I'm doing."

Ross chuckles and unlocks the car once they reach the parking lot. "So... what's the next step?"

"Next step is reporting Jasper to the police. I have picture evidence of Ally when she was with him and now I have his apology of confessions. The worst thing that can happen to us is that Jasper walks free with a restraining order on his back, but lets hope for more."

Ross nods, sticking his hands in his pocket. "I'll be here the entire journey."

She looks up at him and smiles. "I know you will. Thank you."

"No problem."

/

comment and vote pls