thirty-two - celebration

"Mom, you should've seen Ross," Austin exclaims, grabbing a breadstick from the middle. "He had the case in the bag."

"He's studying to be a doctor and lawyer? Wow, Laura, you lost a good one." Dani teases, making Laura playfully rolls her eyes.

"Your wingman skills are horrible," Laura remarks, chuckling while she slurped her spaghetti. "Nice try, though."

Ross scoffs, toying with his own food.

Ally just stays in Austin's side, not saying a word. She wasn't sad or anything. She was just kind of overwhelmed. In just the last month, she thinks she's cried more than ever in her life.

Now, it was over. It wasn't like when she and Laura moved to Denver. That was her running away from her problems. But she faced her problems head on this time and it worked. It worked out so well.

Austin nudges her, making her look up at him. He offers her his breadstick. "Eat something," he demands in a soft tone.

She wasn't really in a eating mood yet. Processing everything that has gone on has dissolved her appetite dramatically. But still, she takes it and quietly thanks him.

"Let's toast to Ally," Laura suggests, grabbing her glass of sprite, holding it towards the middle. "For finally being able to relax and be free of that dipshit."

Each of them clacks their drinks together in honor of Ally, making her grin at the people surrounding her. She hasn't had a full family in a long time. This makes up for all of the time lost.

They finish their meals and Sandra takes care of bill, saying she was so proud of everyone.

"Want me to drive you home or are you going with Laura and Ross?" Austin asks Ally as their hands clasp each other while they're exiting the restaurant.

"You can drive me home," Ally smiles, looking up at him. "I'd rather not be in the car with them, anyway. You know how they are."

"We can hear you," Laura remarks, irking her eyebrow at her sister from behind them.

"I know."

Austin laughs and pulls her along to his car. When once they reach it, Austin opens passenger door for Ally, waiting for her to get in before closing the door.

Once he's inside, Ally watches as he buckles his seatbelt and fixes his front mirror before starting his car. "I love you," she says softly while he's pulling out of his parking spot. "So very much."

Austin glances at her for a moment, then turns his attention back to getting out of the parking lot. "I love you too, Ally."

The rest of the ride is silent. Not an uncomfortable silence, but just pure silence. The radio was playing quietly while the sound of wind came from Austin's opened window.

They reach the apartment complex just as they can see Ross and Laura entering the building.

"I know this is strange, but... I want to sleep alone tonight." Ally speaks quietly, turning to look at him with a shy smile.

Austin raises his eyebrows, not expecting that. You'd think she'd want him to be with her the first night Jasper is sent to jail. But regardless, he nods. "Uh, yeah, totally fine."

"It's not because you did anything," Ally quickly says when she can see him hurting a bit "It's just... I haven't slept alone without being in fear for two months now. I would like to see if his effect has worn off of me yet."

"Ohhh," Austin nods in understandment. Giving her a light smile, he says, "That makes sense. Do you want me to walk you up?"

Ally shakes her head, leaning over her seat and plant a soft kiss on his lips. He gets to kiss her back for a few seconds before she's pulling back again, smiling at him with the same shy yet graceful smile. "I'm good. Goodnight, Austin."