thirteen - only lasts a while

this chapter is horrible, sorry.

"You know," Ally starts as she walks on the outline of the sandbox. She and Austin decided it was better to get out of her apartment for their project and look around her neighborhood. "Laura and I used to come to park everyday when we were in Miami. She loved the swirly slides."

Austin grabs her hand to prevent her from falling in the sand and sticks the other in his pocket. Ally doesn't seem to notice (or she doesn't care) and continues to walk down the outline.

"Why don't you guys do it anymore?" He asks, chuckling when she squeals because she almost slipped on her heel.

Ally holds her unoccupied arm out to try to balance herself. "She's busy with college, work, and Ross."

"You shouldn't allow Ross to take away all of Laura's free time all of the time if you want to hang out with her."

Ally pulls her hand away from his to clap her hands childishly when she has made it across the outline of the sandbox. Austin chuckles as she jumps down from the wooden outline.

"As I was saying before I did that amazing finish of walking on a sandbox outline," she pauses because of his laugh. "Laura and I aren't really that close as we were, either. After what happened with our parents, we distant ourselves. It's been like that for about three years now."

Ally looks up at him to see him staring right back at her. She searches his eyes and notes the way he's furrowing his eyebrows. She can sense the curiosity, but is slightly surprised when he doesn't ask.

They take a seat by a nearby bench and sit there in a comfortable silence.

Ally's the first to break it. "I'm really jealous of Laura. I know you told me I have no reason to, but I am."

"Is that another reason why you guys are distant from each other?" Austin questions, looking at her.

Ally shrugs then says, "I don't think so. Over the years, she had gotten more successful and firgured out her life a little bit more. Where I, the younger sister, has had thoughts about just giving up school and becoming a prostitute."

"Have you ever thought about becoming a writer?" Austin asks, frowning.

"I suck at it."

"You're amazing."

"Are you talking about me or my writing abilities?"

"Both,"

Austin's about to add something to his statement, but Ally stops him by grining and leaning her body over to place a light kiss on his cheek. It's quick, but it's enough to make his cheek turn cherry-red in a matter of seconds. "You're sweet, Austin."

Austin stares into her big, doe eyes. He's never really been this close to a girl. Well, his mom used to rub their noses together, but that doesn't really count. He has kissed Valerie (or she kissed him, same difference) but it was sudden and forceful.

It makes him kind of nervous.

And ask stupid shit out loud like, "Would mind if I kissed you?"

Ally's eyes widen slightly, as does his but much more scared and nervous than shocked. He moves away from her face quickly and sits up straight.

"I am so sorry, Ally. I mean, I didn't mean to ask that. I mean, I did, but I didn't mean it like that. Like, you were very close to me and that's, like, the closest a girl has gotten to me. Well, there was Valerie, but that didn't count," Austin rambles and then his eyes widen. "Oh my gosh--- Valerie. You think I'm a player and a cheater now, don't you? Granted, we're not officially dating, but---"