Chapter 5 Row Row

RJ's pov

The next day

I woke up with an headache and a bruise on my face. Great just my luck I guess.

He went out and was met by John B and sheriff Peterkin's. ''RJ nice of you to join'', she said as she smiled towards me. I had to be polite, so I smiled back. ''take a seat'', she said and I did.

''sorry to interrupt but as I said to John B before you came. Dcs called. They wanted me to see how you two were doing as they couldn't. So, how's it going boys? Something i need to know?'', she said narrowing her eyes at me and JB.

''uh, fine. Great actually so, no'', JB answered. ''is that so?'', she questioned us. ''yes it is. So, if it's just that. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry for it was for nothing'', I said.

She looked at me. ''good to hear, but I have heard things. That got my attention''. ''like what?'', JB asked her. I gulped.

''that your uncle T I think. Was your guardian, but he hasn't been here since three months ago. Am I right or?'', she asked us.

''nah, that's not true'', I answered her. ''I know it is Rowan. I checked and I also found out you two weren't doing the best in school before summer vacation. Is that right?''.

''I guess I don't know'', I answered. ''I'm just failing history'', JB said in defence.

''okay, I heard something interesting. There was a fight at the beach yesterday. Is that also made up?''.

''no it wasn't'', I was quick to say. She looked at me and examined me. ''by the look of you and John b's face I would say so Rowan. Don't worry you're not in trouble. I just want to know if there were a gun in the picture?''.

JB and I looked at each other for a second. ''no'', we both said in unison.

She looked at us. ''did we get into a fight. Yes we did, but no gun involved'', I spoke.

She sighed. ''I know who it was, and I'll get to him later''.

''no, it was me. I found it and it went off. I threw it afterwards'', I quickly said to protect JJ.

''is that so?''. ''yes''. ''okay, that's not important. What is, is making sure you both are in a safe home''. ''yes we are sheriff'', JB said with a smile.

''yeah uncle T's coming soon too'', I backed him up. ''hm, if he's coming then''. I think both of you can stay''.

''yep, that's right sheriff'', I answered her. ''but however, I'm sticking up for you two. You need to help me''.

''uh, sure what can we help you with?'', I asked intrigued.

''a body was found yesterday. Do you know about it?''. ''no, we don't'', JB answered quickly.

''okay, just stay out of the marsh. Or were both of you there? ''uhm we were fishing but we didn't see anything'', I said.

''okay, no wreck in sight?''. JB gulped as she said that. ''no'', I answered.

''to be clear. Up here at the surface is foster care and down in the water is juvie. Nothing for kids like you two. Up here both you and your friends do whatever, in obx. Or else it'll be foster care another place long from here. So, I'm asking both of you. Did you or did you not see a wreck in the water?''.

''no, sheriff Peterkin's we didn't'', JB spoke hearing sincere.

''good. It's better for you two. I'm gonna look the other way, but both of you have to stay out of the marsh then. Understand?''. ''yes''. ''good. I have to go. You two have a good day'', she said and left.