PROLOGUE

My mother's death had a big toll on me. It has always been the two of us ever since I could remember. Yes, I had a father, but he was a piece of shit who got off by beating my mother and I anytime he got a chance. He was the literal devil. One time, when I was eight, he beat my mother so much that she entered a coma and was unconscious for over six months.

Thankfully, the law was on our side and he was finally put away in jail.
After my mother finally got better, we left home and moved to mother's birth home to live with my grandma.

My grandma was one weird Lady. She loved me, yes, but I always felt uncomfortable around her. That weird feeling of people around us when it was just the two of us, or when she had conversations with herself. My mother told me she was sick. Dementia, she called it. As a child, I never asked any other questions. Mother was always right. She took care of grandma and I till death took my grandma one night.

That night, just like every other night, my mother went to work and left my grandma and I alone. She kept on telling me weird stories about how she spoke to a lady down the street yesterday when in reality, no one lived in the building. It was creepy, but I stayed and listened till it was time for bed. I kissed her goodnight and went upstairs and the next day, she was gone. Something about a cardiac arrest in her sleep.
No one came for her burial, not a single soul. Apparently, my grandma was a freak show and after she got married to my grandpa, her family used that opportunity to disown her. So here I was with my mother, alone with an open coffin at age 10. My grandma looked peaceful, like she was asleep. Death looked peaceful I thought to myself. My mother on the other hand looked freaked out, fidgeting and biting her nails. She looked crazy.

" You okay mama?" I asked bring her attention to me. She looked surprised like she forgot I was there.

" Yes honey, wait for me outside okay" she said patting my hair . As she looked towards the door.

" What of grandma?" I asked. I knew dead people got buried so I expected grandma to be buried too.

"She's coming home with us" she said with a smile.

I looked at her like she was crazy till I realized that she meant her ashes would come home with us.

Leaving my mum inside, I stepped out and sat beside the door. In some minutes, I got distracted with a pebble beside me that I didn't notice that someone came to sit beside me.

" it's tough isn't it kid?" the man asked as he looked inside then back at me.

" I guess so, I'll miss her you know. She was weird but I love her" I replied smiling to myself.

" She was a sweet lady" he said as he stood up and touched my hair.

" You'll be fine" he continued. Before I could look up and reply, my mum came out of the funeral hall holding a metal jar with her.

" Who are you talking to honey?" my mother asked looking around.

" Just a nice man mama" I replied as she stretched her hand for me to hold.

" Don't talk to strangers baby" my mother said as we walked towards the bus.

" I won't mama".