CHAPTER 31

" Maria, Ivy, Pete-" I read out in shock as I looked at the names in the journal.

'What the hell are this names doing here' I whispered to myself turning the page.
Then I saw an entry.

' I saw her when no one else did. I was walking to work this morning and I saw a young girl not over 15 sitting in front of a building. When I spoke to her, I realized that my colleagues who were with me began to look at me in a weird way wondering who I was talking to.
Realizing what had happened, I stayed quiet and ignored her eyes on me.
This started after I had an accident. My son Kai had to come back home from school because of it. I feel really bad that he had to miss classes for this. I genuinely thought I was okay but now I'm acting like mama. Maybe craziness just runs in our blood. After work that day, I couldn't see her because someone offered to take me home with her car. I was thankful because my head was hurting but deep down, I needed to see if she was real or just a figment of my imagine.'

" I didn't know you were back, where's Wes?" I heard Ethan ask from behind me.

Fidgeting, I held one hand on my chest as I turned to him.
" You scared me" I said closing me book as I stood up.

" Oh my bad, seems like you were really engrossed in something." He replied walking towards me.

" Yeah, I was reading my mum's journal and I saw something really weird inside" I said removing the groceries from their bags.

" Weird? How?" He asked sitting on the chair as I arranged them into the fridge.

" I saw Maria's name" I replied sighing as I closed the fridge door.

" Wait what?" He said looking at the book in front of him.

" My mother saw Maria the same way I saw Amelia and Sam. I wasn't crazy after all, it's something that runs in our family. I don't know why, but this is the proof I've been looking for" I continued sitting opposite the confused Ethan.

" I just read the first Entry so I'm not certain about anything but I feel she saw other people apart from Maria" I said dragging the book towards me.

" I don't know what to say" Ethan replied rubbing his face with his palms.

" I think I'll read the second entry. It looks like she didn't write much in here" I said flipping through the pages.

Glancing at Ethan, he nodded as I stopped at the page I was meant to read.
' I had to quit my job because I keep on seeing people I'm not meant to see. Today, I was sitting outside the house and I saw someone that Kai swore that he couldn't see. I feel really stupid. That day, when Kai was in his room, I left the house from the back door so I could go and see the young girl that was in front of that building. When I got there, I saw her just sitting down doing absolutely nothing. She was surprised that I could see her and told me her name was Maria. She said that she was murdered inside the building by some men. Antonio. That was the name she kept on repeating when she was saying the story. Then she called another name Ethan or so. He's a detective who helped the rest of the girls escape. I know I sound crazy to whoever is reading this but this is nothing but the truth. She also told me that in case anyone believed me, I should let them know that Antonio has a safe house in Boston. She doesn't know the exact location but she was certain that he lived there. So I'm writing this entry to let you know, whoever you are, that there was a young girl who was murdered by a man called Antonio who deserves justice. She also said that she was grateful to the man called Ethan who gave her a glimpse of hope for a while.'

I concluded closing the book as I looked at Ethan's face for any reaction.
" I can't believe this" He said shaking his head.

" It's all written in here Ethan, She spoke to Maria. Maria was grateful to you till the very end" I replied reaching for his hands.

" Was she finally able to rest in peace then? How do we know if she finally had peace after all this time?" He asked holding my hands tightly.

" We can only hope my love, we have no way of finding out" I answered sighing as I kept my emotions in check.

" Sorry for asking so many questions, it just feels unreal" he said raising my hands to his lips.

" More unreal than me falling for a ghost?" I asked as he kissed my hands.

Chuckling, he looked at me and smiled.
" You really know how to make me feel better" he commented pecking my hands again.

" I'm glad I do" I replied releasing my hands from his.

" I need to marinate the chicken for dinner" I said standing up as I removed it from the fridge.

" I'll be upstairs" he replied standing up also.

I knew that me saying that I was falling for him made the mood awkward. I mean, how could I fall for someone that didn't really exist in physical form. It was really silly on my part.

After he went back to the room, I focused on the chicken. When I was done washing and seasoning it, I covered it with a foil paper and put it back into the fridge. Checking the time, it read 2pm. I had more than enough time to cut the vegetables and per boil the rice I was going to use.

" Hey" I heard Wes say as he climbed down the stairs.

" Hey buddy! What's wrong?" I asked dropping the knife I was about to use.

" I'm done arranging my stuff and I was wondering if you needed help down here" said sitting on the dinning chair.

" Sure, I could use your help" I replied smiling as I brought out the rice from the container.

" You can help me wash this as I cut the vegetables. Can you do that?" I asked dropping the rice beside the sink.

" Yeah, I can" he replied walking towards the sink.

" Great! Let me play some music" I continued removing my phone from my pocket.
Going on my music app, I put the music on shuffle and went to work.

" What's the name of this song? It's so good" Wes asked as he dropped washed rice on the counter.

" Take two by BTS" I replied humming along to the song.

" They sound really good. What language are they singing in?" He continued sitting beside me as I dripped the chopped carrot into a bowl.

" Korean" I answered simply as I began to cut the spring onions.

" You understand Korean?" He asked as he passed the other spring onion to me.

" Yeah, my grandma was Korean so it was a language I grew up with" I replied smiling to myself as I remember when my grandma was teaching me how to pronounce the alphabets.

" That's so cool. I wish I could learn a language too" He said as the music changed to another Korean song.

" Once you think of the language you're interested in, you can let me know. I'll find ways for you to learn them" I answered as I cut the last piece of vegetable.

" I think I'd like to learn Korean too. It sounds really good" he replied following me to the sink.

" You've come to the right place then, get ready to get blown away" I said chuckling as I made an explosion gesture in the air.