CHAPTER 6

The image of Amelia waving back at me as I left the alley still filled my thoughts.

“ You sure you okay bro?” Aaron asked as he held my shoulder.

“ Yeah, I’m okay just tired. I haven’t fully recovered” I smiled back at him. After trying to read my face for a while, he shrugged, smiled and gave me a brief pat.

“ We need to get going, it’s almost time for the meeting. Chief would be pissed if we’re late.” He continued as he opened the company car.

“ Hop in, I’ll drop you home to rest before we head back to the office.

“ No it’s all good, I drove here actually” I said pointing towards the car.

“ Sweet ride” Aaron whistled.

“ Thank you, I just rented” I replied as I walked towards the parked car.

“ See you later” he shouted out as I walked farther away.

As I entered the driver’s seat, I leaned my head on my staring wheel. I felt sweaty, like I’ve been holding my breath for a while.

I was really going crazy, my life was becoming a circus show and I was certain this madness would show on me physically soon.

Hitting my cheek continuously, I forced myself to take a deep breath. Everything was going to be okay. Firstly, I needed to drive myself safely back home and then, I’ll think of the next step.

The drive back home took longer than the 20 minutes I used to get there. Thankfully, I had over 40 minutes to catch up with the meeting.

After I hurriedly packed my laptop, note and badge, I was on my way to the office.
On getting there, I saw Reese, Liam and Aaron around the center table.

“ Took you long enough Newbie, did you turn to a slug on the way here?” Liam shouted getting the attention of our fellow colleagues.

“ Cut it out” Aaron replied quietly as I walked deeper into the room.

“ it’s okay, it’s not worth it” I said smiling while going to an empty space.

“What do you just say?, Not worth it?” Liam sneered at me. Before he could say another word, The Chief walked in with his file.

“ Am I interrupting anything Liam?” Wade asked as he corked his eyebrow towards him.

“ No sir, not at all” Liam replied as he lowered his head.

“ Good, let’s start today’s meeting shall we?” he said clapping his hands together as he turned on the projector.

“ Victim, female. Name Amelia, Surname unknown, Age Unknown
Fractured skull with 5 shots on her stomach. According to forensics, the perpetrator waited till she was dead before he shot her. It shows that both victim and perpetrator probably has a history together.”

“ There was no witness to the crime due to the time of the attack so unfortunately we have no sketch or any detail concerning a suspect” He continued sighing.

“ Where’s he?” someone asked from outside the meeting door.

“ He’s in a meeting ma’am” A familiar voice replied, it was Tracy, our receptionist.

“I don’t care” the voice shrieked as the door opened. Before anyone could register what was going on, the lady rushed towards Wade.

“ Where’s my baby?” the lady who we recognized as Rose Alvero spoke gently as she held Wade on his shirt.
‘ what baby ' I said to myself as I looked at Reese. Looking back at me, he shrugged and kept on looking at the scene that was unfolding in front of us.

“ Amelia!, Where’s my Amelia?” she continued as she he caught her.
What????? What’s going on.

ROSE
16 Years Old.
TW: Rape, Physical Abuse, Trafficking

“ How much did you get this one for?” A male voice asked as he brushed my hair from my face.

“ She’s a pretty one” he continued turning my face side to side.Standing up, he walked over to his accomplice and patted his shoulder.

“ Can she speak English?” he asked again

“ No sir, just Spanish I guess, when I was talking to her earlier, she didn’t seem to understand “ the guy with him answered.

Facing me again, he bent down till he was on my level then smiled.

“ sé buena chica hmm, no querré lastimar a esta cara bonita”(be a good girl, I don’t want to hurt your pretty face) he said softly as he kissed my forehead.

What I didn’t know was that this was the beginning of pain.

PRESENT DAY
“ She’s awake” I heard someone say. My head hurts. Opening my eyes, I looked around and realized I was in a hospital room.

Amelia!
Yes, that was the reason I was surrounded by detectives. Looking closely at everyone, I realized that the man I hurt when he came to my house looked more worried than the rest of them. Kai was it?

Coughing, I sat up on the bed.
“ Are you okay?” Kai asked as he rushed towards me first.

“ Yes, I am. Thank you” I replied with a small smile.

“ When you said your daughter was Amelia, what did you mean by that” an unfamiliar face asked.

“ I don’t think now is the right time for this conversation Aaron.” Their Chief replied frowning at him.

“ No, it’s okay. I know you all are confused” I said cutting him short. I feel it’s time for someone to know my story.

“ As you all know, I met with Antonio Rossi some days ago and because of that, I was tracked down by you in order to get information from me. Well, I wasn’t there as an acquaintance, I was there as a mother trying to get her child back.” Taking a deep breath, I continued.

“ When I was 16, I left home for a greener pasture. My father was a construction worker who had an accident that made him bed ridden and my mother became his support system. We needed to eat, so when a young lady approached me on my way to the bus stop and told me she had a job that needed a girl my age, I was quick to say okay. She took me to a restaurant , bought some food for me and even offered to get some food for my parents back home. Stupid me right?” I asked as I chuckled and sniffed.

“ As I was eating, I began to feel dizzy all of a sudden. Like I had taken some type of drug. When I stood up, I couldn’t even feel my legs, and when I woke up, my life as a free girl was gone.
I started working for Antonio’s father, Pedro Rossi as one of his entertainment girls. I’m sure I don’t have to explain further” I said trying to light up the mood but everyone was quiet. Sad even.

“ One day, A young man came, introduced himself as Pedro’s son and how he would be in charge from now on. He was handsome and very quiet, but it was all a show. He was wicked, even more heartless than his father and he saw me as a personal object of his disgusting fantasies and pleasure. I was his personal entertainment. Other girls became jealous of me, maybe they thought that It was a very comfortable position but it wasn’t . Anytime he lost a business deal, I became his punching bag and when I cried and screamed, that turned him on and well, he took advantage of me. Till one cursed day, I began to feel nauseous and very sick. I was his property and he didn’t want to lose any money by losing me so he called a doctor to the house. After series of test, We realized I was pregnant."
" Antonio was over joyed by that but I was disgusting that I was carrying his seed so I decided to run away. Silly me didn’t realize that I was too weak for him so before I could leave the house, I was knocked out and locked in a room. I stayed in that room for months, I was given food, medications and anytime I needed so I could give birth to his healthy son."

" Unfortunately for me, I gave birth to a girl. My Amelia. Due to all the stress, I couldn’t even hold her or breast feed her. I found her disgusting” I said as began to cry. Kai noticing my sniffs, offered me a tissue and sat beside me for support.

“ When Antonio found out I gave birth to a girl, he never came to see me. He ordered his men to throw me out of the house and threatened that if I said anything or tried to do anything, He’d kill Amelia."