CHAPTER 17

ETHAN'S POV ( Continuation)

Maria sat beside me as she tilted towards my body.
"When you said you wanted to help, what did you mean" She asked as her tired eyes looked up at me.

"I'm here to make sure you and your friends leave here safely" I replied vaguely.

"And how do you plan on doing that." she asked again with a scoff.
The sound of her scoff brought me back to reality.

'How was I even going to free them' I thought to myself.

" I have friends on the outside. Once everything has been arranged, we'll get out of here. Do you trust me?" I asked patting her head. She looked not more than 14 but I didn't want to ask out of fear to her something younger.

"I do" she asked smiling at me. Getting that out of the way, she leaned on the wall and closed her eyes. Remembering that I needed to update our chief, I brought out my phone from my pocket and started typing.

Ethan: Successfully infiltrated the building.
Then waited for him to reply as I supported her head on my shoulder. After few seconds, I checked my phone to see if I had a reply. I did.

Chief: Good. Take pictures of some things in order to file a search warrant.

Ethan: Will do just that.
Looking at Maria, I wondered how long she had been here and if she had people waiting for her at home.

"I can feel you looking at me you know" Maria informed me as she sat up.

"You can ask me anything you want, I know you're curious" she continued as she began to peel her nails with her other hand.

"How did you get here?" I asked straightforwardly staring into her eyes

"My father sold me to them when he couldn't pay up his debt" she replied calmly.
"I was 12 when he sold me and that was 3 years ago. Apparently, he preferred his drugs to his daughter" She continued as she smiled sadly.

"Are you really going to help us?" She asked as her eyes lit up with renewed hope.

"I promise" I replied as I dragged her into a hug. We were like that for almost a minute when the knocking on the door brought us back to reality.

"I'm coming, just zipping up" I shouted back as I winced at my words. Looking back at Maria, I was about to apologize when she squeezed my hands and shook her head.

"I'll try as much as possible to get some information for you. We can meet her in two days. Is that okay?" She asked quietly as she got up and tore her cloth from her chest to her stomach.

"Yes, Be safe " I replied as the door finally opened.

"What- oh I see, she was being a stupid little thing hmm" The rotten teeth man asked as he eyed Maria's torn cloth.

"Let's get you something new to wear, we won't want you disrupting business" he continued as he led her out of the room. With one more hopeful glance at me, she followed him obediently.

'I need to think of a plan and fast' I thought to myself as I looked around for Pete. Finding him at the entrance of the other building, he led us towards the back.

"What's up?" He asked as he eyes lit up with curiosity.

"Nothing, we just had a conversation" I replied as I sat down on the stairs leading to only God knows where.

"What conversation Ethan, We're a team remember?" He asked still trying to get more information out of me.

"She told me her name and how she got here, that's all" I replied brushing my hair off my face still thinking of what plan I could enact to rescue the girls.