CHAPTER 27

After Ethan left the dinning table, Wes and I sat quietly and ate what we could.
" So what happens next?" Wes asked dropping his fork on the table.

" What do you mean?" I countered swallowing the pasta that was already in my mouth.

" I'm free from Otto but it feels like I'm still stuck in one place. I don't have plans for my life, I don't have my sister or my brother anymore. I'm still alive after everything and I don't know why" he answered truthfully looking directly at me.

I could see the fear, the anxiousness and dread. The mixture of such complex emotions on a little boys face.
" What would you like to do first?" I started giving him all my attention.

" You have all the time in this world to explore everything you always had in mind. You're here for a reason Wes, you might not know why, but I'm certain you're alive for great things" I continued as he smiled gently at me.

" So we just have to take things one step at a time right?" He asked as though he had made his final decision in his head.

" Yes, one step at a time. It's not a competition. Just focus on yourself and everything will be fine " I concluded standing up.

" Do you need my help with the dishes? I'm good at cleaning" Wes said hurriedly as he copied my movement.

"It's okay, I got it. You can just sit and watch me. I'd love your company" I replied rubbing his hair as I packed the plates of the table.

As I was washing the plates and cleaning the counter, I felt someone looking at me from the window. Squinting my eyes, I scanned the environment I could see.

' it's probably nothing ' I whispered to myself turning to face Wes.

He wasn't sitting on the table anymore. Instead, he was in the parlor lying down on one of the couches. Sighing to myself, I dried the final plate and got my phone out of my pocket. Checking the time,it read 11pm. No wonder I was so tired, I've been up since 6am or so.

Looking through my messages, I saw one from Reese, Theo and Chief. Opening the Chief's message first, it read.
Wade: Good Job today. I expect a proper breakdown of everything that happened today.

I figured it wasn't the right time to tell him about Wes,so I just replied something simple and straight to the point.

Me: Thank you sir. I would like to talk to you about something really important tomorrow if that's okay.

Then I exited his message because I knew he wasn't going to be online by this time. Opening Reese's message, I felt more at ease as I smiled.

Reese: Hey, you didn't get back to me anymore. Hope your drive back home was smooth. Regarding Wes, in case you need someone to watch him when we are all at work, I can ask my sister to stand in. She's a preschool teacher and I'm certain she'd love to help. See you tomorrow.

I was so grateful to Reese to be honest, although earlier today, I felt as though he didn't see me as an equal but thinking of it now, it showed that he just really cared about me.

Me: So sorry for not replying on time, I slept off immediately I got home till I realized that Wes hadn't eaten so I offered food. We just had dinner not too long ago. Regarding your sister, I'm so grateful that you care about Wes' wellbeing. I'd talk to you about it tomorrow. Have a good night rest.

Then I exited his message and opened the last one.

Theo: I didn't hear from you all through today, are you okay? Reese told me that you came over this morning. I can explain why Reese was in the room but I'm sure you won't want to hear the details * winking emoji*. Anyways, Just wanted to let you know that I'll start work tomorrow. I have a 24/7 shift tomorrow so I'll be really preoccupied. The name of the hospital is Evergreen. Maybe during your free time tomorrow you could stop by? I also forgot to give you the diary I found back at home. Please remind me tomorrow. Love you * love emoji*

Me: I'm glad you know I won't want to hear about your ' sexcapades'. I planner on going to the hospital tomorrow. It not for me so don't get nervous. It's for a young boy, I'll give you more details when we see. Love you too.

After I was done with the replies , I woke Wes up as I assisted him back to the room. Once he was settled and asleep with my duvet covering him, I turned off the light, closed the door mid way in case of anything. Looking at the room opposite mine, I sighed and walked towards the door. Taking a deep breath, I knocked gently then opened the door.

Opening the door, I saw Ethan sitting quietly on a table typing something into a laptop.
" What are you doing?" I asked walking deeper into the room.

" Nothing serious, I'm just reading the cases I worked on when I was alive." He answered closing the laptop and standing up.

" I didn't mean to distract you or anything like that. I just wanted to know if you were okay" I stated walking closer.

" I'm okay, just happy but I didn't know how to express it." He replied gesturing towards the bed. After sitting down, he stood over me and rose my chin towards him.

" Are you okay?" He asked again rubbing his thumb on my cheek.

I was ready to lie again but when I looked into his eyes, it showed worry and I didn't want to lie to him anymore.

" It's just-" I started removing his hand from my face as I looked at my lap.

" I'm tired" I continued playing with my fingers.

He probably realized that I was going to continue talking because he just stood over me quietly.

" Sometimes I just wonder why bad things happen to good people. The bad ones always go scott free. It's not fair. There isn't enough justice served to people who deserve them. Maria, Ella, Amelia and Sam. None of them deserved what happened to them." I said looking up at him.

" Wes lost both his sister and brother and even lost himself in the process. He's 14 but he has lived a life that even an adult can't tolerate. It's unfair." I concluded as I felt tears dropping from my eyes.

" I know it isn't easy but you helped them one way or the other" he said sitting down beside me.

" Then why do I feel like what I have is a curse. Why couldn't I get a power that could make me help before they were dead. Why couldn't I met Amelia a day before her murder to help her escape with Rose? Why couldn't I help Sam survive so he could be with his little brother at least." I replied with teary eyes.

" You can't help everyone in the world baby -" he started as I turned away from him.

" Hey, look at me" he continued holding my cheek firmly forcing me to look at his eyes.

" What do have isn't a curse, sometimes, things don't go the way you want it but that doesn't mean you can't make the pain a little lesser. Look at Amelia for example, because of you, she was able to have a nice burial with her mother being able to say goodbye, you made sure Carlos didn't see the light of day anymore, you saved Wes for Sam. If not for you, Sam wouldn't be able to look down on his happy younger brother. You did good baby, I'm sure where ever they are, they're always grateful to you. Even me, you're the only person that gives me hope that one day, all the evil Antonio has caused would be brought to light one day. So just breathe and know you're a wonderful person " Ethan concluded smiling gently at me.

My heart was pounding because of what he just said to me, I felt cared for, I had a wonderful support system and I was grateful. I couldn't express how I felt by just saying thank you, so I moved closer to him as I held his cheeks and brought him closer to my face. Looking at his eyes one last time, I focused on his lips as I connected mine to his. Then the pleasure came from his cold lips.