CHAPTER 5

As I watched him sleep, I wondered if he was the one that would end it all.
He saw me. I knew that he did.
It was the first time someone saw me since I passed away 6 years ago. At first I thought maybe he glanced towards the couch I was sitting and he would turn back and go back to sleep but he looked directly at me, then blinked.
I was intrigued. How was it possible that he could see me .
Now here he was in my house, lying on the same bed I did. It felt as though it was necessary for me to communicate with him for everything to be in place.

KAI
The sound of my alarm was what woke me up. Checking the time on my phone, it read 6am. It was quite early for me now since I had nothing to do. Turning my head to continue sleeping, I began to wonder why Rose’s first response was to hit me. Was she being threatened by someone? Or was she waiting for a particular person. My thoughts were continuous and kept me up so I decided to check the email Reese sent.
Standing up from bed, I checked my message in case of any emergencies. I saw one from Wade, from the time he sent it, I was probably asleep.

Wade: Feeling okay today?

Me: Good morning Sir, yes I am.
Immediately I replied, three dots appeared beside his name. He was typing back.

Wade: Good. You need rest. Reese told me you asked for some documents regarding the information we got from Rose.

Me: Yes sir, I decided that since I’d be idle for a while, I could help from home.

Wade: I asked you to rest for a reason Kai. Since you feel better, I’m here to inform you that we just discovered a body last night, close to a club apparently owned by Antonio. Reese and Liam are on their way there as we speak.

Me: I’d like to go there to assist them if you don’t mind sir.

Wade: Okay. Be safe. I know there’s no way to talk you out of this.

Me: Thank you sir.

Wade: Location- Armada, 6th Avenue.

After having my bath and dressing up, I quickly ran downstairs to order an Uber. Surprisingly, I saw a note with a key on top of the kitchen counter.
' use this '-E
E?, Did I know any E? Maybe Wade sent someone to drop this off. No. It can’t be. I locked the door last night. There’s no way someone could get in. There was no time to think about who put it there right now. What I’m certain about is that the person knew that I needed it at that moment.

Deciding to figure it out when I get back, I grabbed the car keys and ran outside. In front of my porch, there was a black Toyota Venza parked there. Entering the car and turning on the ignition, I locked the address into the Car’s GPS.

It took approximately 20 minutes to get to the location. On getting there, the scene was already secured by the police and barrier tapes were all around. Parking the car at the other side of the road, I crossed over to the other side. Reese and Liam were already talking to the civilians around trying to get details regarding the murder.

“ Hey guys, what’s the update?” I asked as I approached them.

They both turned towards me, one more relieved than the other.

“ What are you doing here, trying the disrupt a scene again newbie?” Liam asked looking at me with disgust from head to toe.

Ignoring him, I turned to Reese and asked him if there was any update regarding the situation. Liam noticing that I ignored him wanted to talk back but one look from Reese made him shut his mouth. Not that I was being disrespectful, but Liam always had it out for me since I started working with Reese. Something about me being the new guy and getting more missions and assignments than him. I didn’t really care what he thought about me. I knew my capability. I wasn’t a push over. I worked hard to earn my respect. Whether I was a newbie or not.

“ 5 shots in the stomach, a fractured skull. Looks like our suspect had fun bashing his head first before shooting her.” Reese explained as he lead me towards the crime scene.

“ Forensics are trying to get some samples of blood and any sample that may lead us to the suspect.” He continued.

Crossing the tape, the body bag was opened showing a girl who looked like she wasn’t even up to 21.

“ What sort of sicko would do something like this?” I asked disgusted. He really wanted to disfigure her so she won’t be recognized.

“ I don’t know man.It’s messed up.” Liam replied. It wasn’t time to figure out our differences. We had the same goal now. To find the sicko who did this.

“ How about we look around and ask anyone if they saw something that could help us.” Reese suggested.

It sounded like a good idea, so we all decided to separate and meet back at the office by 11.
Walking towards the back of the club through the alley, I heard someone crying beside the dumpster.

“ Hello?” I called out.
No response.

As I got close to the bin, I saw a silhouette of a girl squatting.

“ Hey, what are you doing here?.
What’s your name?” I asked as I stretched my hand towards her.

When she flinched away, I took a step back.
Raising her head towards me, I took another step back, then another, till I got to the opposite side. My heart was beating so fast. My throat was dry. Isn’t this. No. It can’t be. They look so similar. It’s not possible. Trying to summon courage, I tried balancing on my feet again. I was wobbly.

“ Who are you?” I asked as my voice failed me.

“ You can see me?” The girl asked back.

When I blinked back at her with my mouth agape. When she realized that I was indeed seeing her, she got up with excitement.

“ You can see me. How?” she asked as she walked towards me.

Turning to look at the two openings in the alley, I expected to see someone coming to ask me who I was talking to. No one came.

“ How?, But you’re over there” I asked as I pointed towards the entrance.

“ I know” she said as she looked at her feet.

“ He finally killed me.” She continued.

“ Who?” I asked as I walked closer.

“ I don’t know his name, I can’t even remember how I got here. All I know is that he kept on stepping on my head till I blacked out” she replied as she stretched her hand towards my arm.

“ I can touch you. I’ve been trying to get ahold of someone since yesterday night but I couldn’t . They kept on walking through me.” She continued as she hugged me.

Standing still, I kept on shaking my head to see if I could wake up from this sleep induced delusion. Closing and opening my eyes continuously, I expected her to be gone, but she was still here grabbing onto me. Maybe I’ve finally gone crazy like grandma and mama, I said to myself as I chuckled to myself.

“ What’s your name?” I asked her again playing along with my delusions.

“ Amelia” She replied as she looked up at me.

“ I’m Kai, I promise to find your killer and make sure he gets punished. You don’t have to worry.” I said smiling at her.

“ Promise” she asked as she rose her pinky finger.

“ I promise” I replied as I locked our Pinkies together.

“ Yo Kai! We’ve been looking for you” A voice said from behind me.

Fidgeting, I turned to the voice.
“ Oh, Aaron. You scared me” I said as I faked a smile.

“ You okay man?, You look like you just saw a ghost “ he replied looking around.

“ Oh yeah, I’m fine. Just checking around to see if the suspect left any evidence.” I said as I wrapped my hand around his shoulder as I lead us out of the alley.

Turning back one last time, I saw Amelia sitting at the same spot smiling at me.

I’m Fucked.