Part 28; The Grief of Losing

~Y/N's Pov~

I got woken up by a loud alarm through the entire tower. From the thuds and gun shots upstairs, Nat and I knew we were being under attack, so we quickly got dressed in our suits. I grabbed my sword that I kept in a secret container behind my bookshelf in my room. As we run upstairs, sounds of grunts and mumbles mix with the loud alarm. Nat and I tried to contact J.A.R.V.I.S, asking him to shut down the alarm, but his system was glitching, and he powered off, all the light bulbs exploding.

Another lightbulb explodes right above us. I flinch, ducking down and placing my sword above my head.

"What the hell is happening!?" I whisper shout. Nat helped me to stand up again, "Someone hacked into J.A.R.V.I.S to get into the tower." She drags my arm, "Come on, we have to go help the others"

Nat and I continued running until we got to the top floor. Before we could get on the upper deck, a scent of smoke filled our nostrils. Then, my eyes widened. The entire upper deck is surrounded by flames, fire all over the counters, and the kitchen. Avengers were lying on the floor, or either taking cover behind a non burning piece of shelter. Wanda was crouching behind a burned couch, quickly gesturing to Nat and I to take cover. Who did this, Wanda? Please read my mind! It was no use, Wanda didn't read my mind. She was distracted by gun shots coming from behind the large fire. Nat dragged me behind the corner, pressing our stomachs flat. I swear I saw the silhouette of Thor unconscious on the floor behind the fire in the corner.

Once I peek around the wall, I see a dark mist coming through the flames. A silhouette.

There he was, Bucky Barnes or mostly the Winter Soldier.

"Shit," Nat whispers.

The Winter Soldier made his way to Steve, who was lying on the ground. Panic flushed over me. Shit, Steve's unconscious. The Winter Soldier kneels down, swinging his gun around his body before kneeling down. He grabs Steve by the collar, dragging his unconscious body up. Nat tried dragging me back around the corner so that I won't get spot, but my body froze. I watched as The Winter Soldier constantly punched Steve right in the face, spit flying out with each impact against his cheek. Shit! What am I supposed to do!? Where is everyone!?

"Y/N, get back, now." Nat said strictly, taking my wrist and dragging me back.

"Steve will die if we don't do anything!" I whisper shout.

Her eyes softened once she looked at my glossy eyes, yet I tried my best to stay calm.

"I can't let anyone die, Nat," I whisper, my voice breaking.

She kept staring at me with that sympathetic soft eyes. Her hand releases grip around my wrist, and I took it as a chance to move. "Y/N-" Nat wanted to stop me before it was too late, I made myself known to the Winter Soldier.

Immediately, the Winter Soldier dropped Steve hard enough for him to gain his consciousness back. Steve gasped for air, and then arch his back. I slowly reached out for my sword as the Winter Soldier twisted his head towards me.

Then, a hand crashed down on my shoulder from behind. Startled, I turn my head at Nat as she gives him a death stare.

"Doubt me, and you risk everything," Natasha mumbles, "So, play along."