10

12x08
Things We Lost in the Fire

a/n: the end of this chapter is kind of an emotional roller coaster but i think you'll like it ;)

The four women sat in Meredith's car, Amelia ranting to them about something.

"Owen won't say what it's about, and nobody knows this Riggs, except Kepner. Maybe Kepner knows." She said from the front seat.

"Is that snow?" Jo asked from the right of Ophelia.

"I hate the snow. It's too cold." Ophelia complained.

"Are we still good?" Alex asked Meredith.

"Yeah, we're good. I told you." Meredith replied.

"I'm just making sure." Alex said.

"We're good." Meredith assured him.

"Good with what?" Jo asked.

"Nothing."

"Don't worry about it."

"Guys, it's like 60 degrees out. That can't be snow." Jo pointed out.

"I say forest fire." Ophelia said, looking at her.

"They just keep circling each other." Amelia said, still on her Owen and Riggs topic, "I keep thinking one of them is going to pull out a switchblade."

"It's about a chick. When two guys hate each other, it's usually about a chick." Alex said.

"Really?" Amelia asked, turning to face him.

"Is that snow?" Meredith questioned.

"Where?" Alex asked, Jo turned to look at him with an incredulous look.

"That looks likes snow out there." Amelia stated.

"Thanks, amar, you really helped us out there." Ophelia said, and Amelia reached back and hit her knee, but Ophelia just grinned.

--------

"Four crews of firefighters were trapped battling wildfires east of town." Bailey said, standing on the stairs in the main lobby, "We have at least 40 injuries en route, I said we would take all of them."

Ophelia groaned and slumped down, her head on Amelia's shoulder. "I am getting no rest today." She complained. Amelia laughed, and wrapped her arm around her shoulders.

"Forty? We're gonna hit capacity and-" Jackson tried to argue.

"We will take all of them." Bailey responded, "We're looking at second, third, and fourth-degree burns, smoke inhalation and some traumas. All non-critical patients..." She hesitated when she went to speak next, looking at someone in the crowd, and taking a step up, "are being transferred to Seattle Pres and Tacoma." She took another step up. "This entire hospital us now a burn-treatment center."

"Did you stay here again last night?" Amelia asked, leaving Ophelia by herself at the wall and walking up beside Owen.

"Yeah." Owen said, nodding at her and then turning back to Bailey.

"You sleep at all?" She asked.

"I'm fine." He told her.

"Plastics will be available for consult, but they will be in high demand, and cannot be everywhere." Bailey said. Riggs walked through the crowd, pulling on his lab coat, and Owen shot him a glare.

"It's definitely because of a chick." Alex whispered to Meredith.

"Shush." She told him.

"Residents, stay with your assigned attendings unless needed in the burn unit, or in the pit. Everyone who is on call has been called in. This is an all-hands-on-deck situation."