31

"There's a chance of some recovery of movement, but it's very small." Amelia said, shining her light in Brandon's eyes.

"He'l get physical and occupational therapy to help him regain some function, find some new ways-" Alex began to say.

"But he'll never walk again?" The mother asked, cutting him off.

"I'm sorry. It's very unlikely." Amelia told her sympathetically.

Brandon's mother took a deep breath. "The gun was locked up. It was supposed to be locked in a drawer. It was. I don't know how they-"

"Kids watch." Amelia said to her, "They pick up everything you do. I'm very sorry that this happened."

Amelia then left the room, finding Owen talking to the other pair of parents, and Ophelia holding the ither little boys' hand.

She crouched down in front of them. "Hey."

"Brandon didn't die?" Peter asked, his voice small.

"No . He didn't." Amelia assured him, and Ophelia could feel the relief wash off of him.

"But he can't walk? And he can't ride bikes?" Peter took a deep breath, "Is he mad at me?"

Amelia waited for a moment, and then took both of Peter's hands in hers. "If it had been Brandon who hurt you, would you be mad at him?"

"A little. But it was just an accident."

"Right. So, I want you to promise me something. Whenever you feel bad about this, I want you to say, "it was an accident, I didn't mean to." I know that. But you have to know it, too. So, you gotta promise me you will say, "I didn't mean to.""

Ophelia watched her girlfriend with the little boy, watching as she handled his emotions with the utmost care.

She fell in love even harder in that moment.

"We can go now, right? We're free to go?" Peter's mom asked.

"Will you promise me that?" Amelia asked Peter.

"Peter, honey it's time to go." His mom said, walking over. Amelia let go of his hands, and Ophelia stood up and made her way over to her girlfriend.

As he was leaving, Peter turned around to face the two women and mouthed, 'I didn't mean to.'

Eventually, everyone but Ophelia and Amelia had left the room. The neurosurgeon walked up to Ophelia and took her hands in hers, just as she had done with Peter.

"I am sorry that you felt so unsafe that you had to resort to keeping a gun in your apartment. I'm sorry that I've never had to feel as scared as you have, but I promise you that I will fight for your rights so that you can feel safe in our home."

Ophelia felt the tears rise to her eyes, and tired to blink them away, but it was no use. Amelia reached up to brush away the tear that had fallen from her eye, and the simple movement made Ophelia crumble.

The tears flowed freely, and Amelia brought her girlfriend into a hug, letting her cry.

"I'll tell Millie we can't go to the viewing, that we'll go tomorrow, okay?" Amelia whispered into her ear.

Ophelia nodded, and Amelia led them out into the corridor, and to the attendings' lounge, where the two fell asleep on the couch, tangled in each other's arms.

Before they fell asleep though, Ophelia whispered to her girlfriend, "I love you so much it's overwhelming. You make me feel different. Different than when i've met other people, just... different."
--------

591 words

next chap will be longer i pinky promise but i have no time today to write!!