29

"Brandon's injuries are severe." Hunt was telling Brandon's mother, "And we're taking him up to surgery right now."

"The bullet hit his spinal cord, so right now we are evaluating-" Amelia tried to say, but was interrupted by a girl walking up to the two mothers.

"Patty." She said.

"Stacy! Are you okay?" The redhead woman asked her, obviously knowing this woman.

"Were you shot at?" Brandon's mother asked.

"I'm so sorry. I left the room for just a few minutes." Stacy explained.

"Were the boys out front?"

"Did they find the person who did it?"

There was a moment's silence as Stacy looked between the two mothers, but finally looked at the redhead. "No. The boys found your gun. They were playing with it."

"Your gun?" Peter's mother asked, astounded, tightening her grip on Peter, "You have a gun?"

"Yes, I do. But it's locked." Brandon's mother said, trying to assure her.

"We were just playing. It went off." Peter said quietly, "Did I kill him?"

"No." Amelia said almost immediately, shaking her head, "No, you didn't."

"Peter, Brandon's alive, okay?" Owen said, placing his hand on Peter's arm, "And we're going to take care of him right now."

The three doctors left as the police began to question Brandon's mother about the gun. "We don't know that." Owen began to say.

"What?" Ophelia asked, confused.

"We told that kid that he didn't kill his friend."

"He didn't." Amelia said, sounding determined.

"Except, we don't know that. Not yet." Owen said. Amelia and Ophelia watched, stunned, as Owen walked ahead of them to the OR.

"We are going to save the kid. I don't care what Owen thinks." Ophelia said to her girlfriend, lacing her hand through hers. Amelia nodded and pressed a light kiss on Ophelia's forehead before walking away.

--------

"L1 shattered and left fragments in the spinal canal." Amelia said, looking at the x-ray they performed on Brandon. Hunt, Alex, Amelia, Ophelia and Jo were all in the OR to work on Brandon.

"So, his mom just had a gun just laying around." Alex sad. He had scrubbed in despite Ophelia's protests not to, considering it was a trauma-peds case, and she was a trauma-peds attending.

"She said she had it locked up." Owen clarified.

"The mom should be locked up." Amelia said as she walked back to where Brandon was open.

"Well, she might be." Owen said, helping Alex by stapling something, "It could be involuntary manslaughter if-"

"Don't even say it. It's not gonna happen." Alex interrupted, and Ophelia was grateful because she probably would've bit Owen's head off if he continued talking.

"Do you own a gun?" Amelia asked Owen.

"No, I fix bullet holes. I don't make them." Owen replied, laughing a little.

"I just assumed, because you were in the army-"

"Nope. You need one in the army, you don't need one here."

"Meanwhile, everyday, someone's kid is in the OR with a gunshot wound." Amelia said, "Every single day." 

"When are people gonna learn? It just makes things worse." Alex continued on.

"And people say they need one for protection. They don't." Amelia said.

"Unless they do." Jo spoke up. Everyone turned to look at her, kind of forgetting she was there, "I have a gun." 

"Yeah, right." Alex laughed.

"I do. I've had one for a long time." Jo said seriously.

"You have a gun." Amelia said, leaning forward so she could see Jo past Owen, "Why?"

"Just like you said. For protection." Jo replied, like it was obvious.

"Have you used it?" Alex asked.

"No. I haven't needed to, thank God." Jo replied, sounding grateful.

"Thank God you haven't had it used against you." Amelia said, looking at Jo.

"I used to. When I worked at Hopkins, I lived because I used to live with Arizona but then she moved closer to here, and because I'm Latina, people think that they can just attack me out of nowhere." Ophelia said, focusing solely on Brandon and not looking at Amelia.

"Alright, can we stop?" Alex asked, "There's a kid down there scared to death he might've killed his friend. There are two lives on this table right now, so can we just stop the chatter and pay attention?" Everyone fell silent, "Right angle."

--------

685 words 

short but i'm losing all creativity for this book so yay!!