Part 36

"No..."

She breathed and looked at him. He had changed, he became older, but he was still the same Barty Crouch she remembered.

Footsteps where outside but Diana watched numbly. She heard Snape yell his name, she heard a house-elf also yell his name in surprise.

Dumbledore put him against the wall and they all looked down at him. He poured some drops of the veritaserum in his mouth.

"Rennervate." He muttered the spell. He slowly woke up and looked a bit around, still drowsy.

"Can you hear me?" Dumbledore asked. "Yes." He muttered, disgust lacing his voice.

Dumbledore was about to ask something when he looked up and he and Diana locked eyes. His widening slightly at her sight.

"Ana..." he sounded apologetic but she shook her head. "Don't call me that." She said with tears in her eyes. "Ana, I'm sorry." He said and she didn't believe him, but then she remembered, he had just drank veritaserum.

"Enough." Dumbledore said. "I would like you to tell us," he said softly, "how you come to be here. How did you escape from Azkaban?"

He started to explain how his mother saved him by taking his place. Winky begged him to keep his mouth shut.

He sighed and continued how she had shortly after died in the prison. Diana realised she had been visiting a grave with a whole other person inside of it.

"And what did your father do with you when you got home?" Dumbledore asked.

Barty explained how they had staged his mothers death and how he had been kept under the imperious curse so he would almost have no mind of his own.

He explains a lot, about Bertha Jorkins, about how he had been at the quidditch cup, how he had fought the curse there and managed to come to a clear mind.

He explained about how he had summoned the dark mark and when he had done that he made eye contact with Diana.

"Ana, I'm sorry, I am-" he started. "Silence." Dumbledore commanded.

He then explained how the dark Lord had visited his house and given him a chance of freedom and he grabbed it.

Though, she couldn't help but here what he said.

"After you failed me and lied to me, it was my greatest dream to avenge the people I cared about and have my revenge on you."

She didn't know what he meant, but she had shot a look at Dumbledore who was ghostly pale for a moment.

He explained all the other things about his disguise and him sabotaging the tournament. He has looked at Harry for a moment.

"Sad enough for you, you had to be part of my revenge plan."

Diana felt like throwing up every time he said the name 'Wormtail' the name she had once called a great friend.

She had sent Harry a scolding look when she found out Harry had given him the map.

Diana watched as with a spell, Barty was tied up. Yet, she wanted to hear the remaining of the story. Because it was obvious to her, Dumbledore was hiding something.

"Minerva, Diana, may I ask you to stand guard while I take Harry upstairs?" He asked and Diana nodded as she kept her look on Barty.

The others left and Diana turned to McGonagall. "Minnie." She said and the woman looked at her.

"Mind leaving us alone for a moment?" She asked and McGonagall was speechless for a moment. "I'm not sure Diana..." she trailed of as she looked at the man.

"He won't do anything." Diana said and McGonagall sighed. "Ten minutes." She said and stepped out.

"Ana, please listen to me." He begged as she saw him cry. "I will, but first, you take the serum again." She said and he nodded.

"Yes, fine, I will, I have nothing but the truth to tell you." He said and Diana put some serum in his mouth which he willingly took.

"So, tell me what you want to tell me." She said.

"Before Evan, Me and Reg got our marks, we had been called in Dumbledores office with Dora and Cas." He said.

"He personally asked the lot of us to be spies, he wanted us to become death eaters and report to him. Evan, Reg en me said yes. We weren't planning on becoming death eaters, but we did it for the order."

He said and Diana looked at him in disbelief.

"Cas said she wanted to be in the order but she refused a mark. Dora didn't want to be involved. She already knew she would Marry Xenophilius and run away from home." He explained.

"We did everything he asked and told him everything we knew. So did Reg. He went on a mission, I don't know where, but he never returned. Dumbledore didn't even seem to care." He said. "He only cared for the thing Reg did not managed to get."

"When Dorcas was killed, we hadn't known about it, we never heard about it. When we found out, Evan was furious and cursed Dumbledore out."

"He refused to speak to him and everything he knew, he told me so I could report it. I suppose Dumbledore hadn't told anyone about us, Evan had died in the clutches of Mad-eye." He clenched his jaw and Diana saw the tears making their way down his face.

"I know." Diana said, her voice hoarse. "I always knew Evan was innocent, because you told me. And I later found out Moody killed him." She said.

"That's why you always cursed me out, this past year." Barty said and she nodded. "I wanted nothing to do with you- or well, him." She said.

"I always wanted to avenge them, all of them." He said. "I only learned this year that Pandora had died." He said and Diana looked away.

"Why didn't you tell me when you visited that day?" She asked and he shrugged. "I was still serving Dumbledore, I swore not to tell anyone." He said and Diana cried.

"I don't know if I can forgive you." She said and he looked up at her. "I know, I put your nephew in danger and it's my fault a student died. I am the reason Voldemort is back..." he trailed of.

"And this all to kill a single man?" She asked and he nodded. "Yes." He stated and Diana sighed.

"And what of Alice and Frank?" She asked and he looked taken aback. "You don't really think I participated in that? I would never do that to you! I don't even know how that became a thing! I'm guessing Bellatrix wanted to do me a 'favour' seeing as we became some sort of friends?" He said and her eyes widened.

"Then I can forgive you for the past, but what you did this year, I can't forgive you for it." She said and he nodded. "I know, but just know that I care about you and will never stop doing so."

She nodded and after moments of silence, the door opened again. Madam Pomfrey came in and McGonagall followed.

Poppy quickly greeted Diana and then escorted Moody out.

"I'll be taking my leave." Diana looked at McGonagall who looked at her in shock. "But Dumbledore-" she started.

"It's alright, Barty won't do anything, if he does, he'll be to weak to go against you anyway. I need to see Harry now." Diana said and looked at Barty.

He gave her a lopsided grin and she smiled at him. He stared at her, trying to fight the tears in his eyes, and then he closed them.

He knew there was a big chance he would never remember her again. There where two options on what was to happen, and he wanted her smile to be the last thing he would see.