※ eighteen

The sign board spun to ‘close’. But, everyone was still busy with their tasks; closing the book, sweeping the floor and making sure items weren’t misplaced. Some were still discussing regarding the problem and solutions for customers.

And then, there was Seokjin appearing behind the wall. “Kids, gather!” Everyone turned their heads only to find Seokjin was already retracting back to the narrow corridor.

Wheein leant nearer to Jisoo and whispered, “are we getting new staff again?” Jisoo just shrugged her shoulders with a frown.

On their way to gather in the meeting room, they could hear Seokjin scolding Hoseok for putting on a sour face. “Don’t make me throw salt on your face, boy.” Hoseok made a tight, broad grin for a few seconds before it darkened again.

“Hoseok’s lips are frowning again,” Jimin said, taking a seat in between Yoongi and Taehyung.

Yoongi, with his lips slightly parted, eyes observing Hoseok’s behavior but not expressing any emotion. He asked, “what did you do this time, hyung?”

“Nothing. Nothing for you to worry,” Seokjin sing-songed. “I asked Hoseok why he doesn’t plan any holidays with the children this year. And he said, because Amber is not here. Hah! This boy is sure so smart in making excuses. Am I right, boy?” he asked and laughed in a fake tone, clapping his hands. Almost abruptly, he stared at Hoseok, dumbfounded. “Bringing the children on holiday and making them happy is part of our responsibility!”

“We can tell them Amber’s not here with us,” Hoseok said, still frowning.

“Not having Amber here shouldn’t be an excuse!” Seokjin demanded. Hoseok declared defeat.

“Holidays with the children?” Jiah asked with a careful tone.

“Right!” Seokjin hit Hoseok on the arm and said, “why didn’t you tell her?”

Hoseok rubbed his throbbing arm and spoke in a low voice, “you didn’t ask me to.”

Seokjin got agitated. He yelled, “do I have to tell you everything?"

“Calm down, hyung. Your hair is greying,” Yoongi commented, unfazed.

Triggered, Seokjin exclaimed, “excuuuse me?”

Ignoring the eldest outburst, the man with short, crimped hair looked at every younger individual and asked, “does anyone want to explain it to her?”

“Me, me, me! Let me do it!” Taehyung said, enthusiastically raising up a hand.

In the background, Namjoon pulled Seokjin down to make him sit and told him to calm down. Still unfazed, Yoongi opened his palm, giving him permission to proceed. Taehyung turned around and said, “Amber owns an orphanage. There were fifteen children aged one to fifteen. Saekang, Joohee, Goo-in, Rowoon, Jae –”

Yoongi cut him off, “we’ll introduce them to her. Skip." 

“Okay! It’s been five or six years since the orphanage operated. Jimin’s mother is one of the caretakers," Taehyung said.

Jimin displayed a smile. “I visited them yesterday. They were asking for Amber noona,” he said (Jiah swore she saw Wheein was rolling her eyes at him). “They also asked why there weren't any vacations last summer. Amber is not around, so I told them that. They want me to beg you,” he told Seokjin.

“Me? Why me?”                            

Jimin snorted. “Don’t know.”             

Jiah quickly added her comment, “you guys go on holidays during summer? To where?”

Relaxed, Yoongi answered, “anywhere. Usually Amber’s plan.”