※ fifty-seven

(!) trigger warning (!)
mentions of death

phrase
*call it a day - end a period of activity, especially resting content that enough has been done

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

With the news Hoseok had privately received from Seokjin, he stood in front of him, his eyes fixed on the older one. His heart palpitated irregularly. No tears, just a stunned silence. After sharing the news, Seokjin hung his head down, avoiding Hoseok's gaze.

He hated the fact that Amber went to the States without telling him the truth. He hated the news he had received. Furthermore, he hated the fact that Jiah's mother was involved in the accident and had also passed away.

He didn't know what to think of his sister anymore. How would he break the news to his parents, with whom he had no close relationship?

Eventually, Hoseok mustered the courage to inform his parents about the news that evening. His mother couldn't control her emotions and went hysterical upon hearing the news. He had to hold her from behind, preventing her from breaking things around her, attempting to calm her down.

His father was no different. Uncontrollably sobbing, Jiwoo's name escaped his mouth in misery and pain.

Hoseok's state of mind was already fragile. This situation had finally shattered him into pieces. Once they had calmed down, Hoseok hesitantly announced that he would go to the morgue the next day.

"Come with me if you'd like. Otherwise... get ready for the funeral."

**********

Hoseok's staff, friends from his alma mater, relatives, neighbors, and Jiwoo's friends came to the funeral hall. Among the guests, Yoongi looked the worst. His skin was pale, his lips chapped, his hair unkempt, stubbles lining his chin and philtrum.

Seeing that Yoongi had become overwhelmed by the news and everyone was in mourning, Hoseok announced in their group chat that the boutique would close for a week. He didn't care if In-Kang was going to send a warning letter. He had already planned to rebel.

Of course, no one from In-Kang was invited to the funeral. Not even Wendy or Maru.

Among Mr. Jung, Mrs. Jung, and Hoseok, Mrs. Jung was the most affected. When guests bowed to offer condolences, only Mr. Jung and Hoseok bowed back. Mrs. Jung remained seated, her droopy eyes swollen, nose still red, and her shoulders slumped.

When Amber walked in, he didn't dare ask about her lies. He also kept many things hidden from her. He didn't have the energy to know or share any more.

As he left the building to meet his relatives outside, he passed by another room filled with mourners. He caught a glimpse before continuing, but suddenly, he stopped. He turned back to see Jiah and her father bowing to a guest. He hadn't known that they would hold a funeral in the same hall.

The elderly man, presumably her grandfather, hugged the younger woman tightly, patting her back as she silently wept.

The Jiah he used to know was stronger than this. She had always worn her hair in a high bun. But that day, in an all-black hanbok, her hair was tied in a loose ponytail. Her face was bare of makeup, with bags under her eyes and red sclera. Her naturally pink lips curved downwards as she fought back a whimper.

As the elderly man moved on to her father for another bow, her droopy, swollen eyes caught his gaze. They locked eyes for a long moment. Her eyes seemed to draw him into the room. He stepped inside and found a frame with a middle-aged woman grinning, resembling Jiah a lot.