※ forty-eight

January 18th marked the day of their journey, and Incheon Airport was buzzing with activity. Children ran around, playing and laughing, while the sliding entrance doors welcomed the chilly wind each time they opened and closed. Surprisingly, the older individuals hugged themselves, trying to stay warm, while the kids seemed to enjoy the cool weather.

Jiah held little Saekang who was comfortably sleeping in her arms. Her chubby rosy cheeks felt cold, so Jiah pulled the jumper hoodie closer to shield her face. She looked around to find Joohee playing with Taehyung and spotted Jungkook surrounded by teenagers, engrossed in a video game.

Hoseok was holding Taehyun, entertaining the toddler. Namjoon, Wheein, and Jisoo were together to manage the other children. Seokjin went with Yoongi to settle the immigration matters.

Jimin's absence felt strange. She found out Hoseok suspended her only after a week of his absence. She never thought Hoseok would be that brave to make that decision, considering how ignorant he used to be with Bejiwoo. But things had changed. Jung Hoseok amazed her a lot lately.

"Are you okay?" Seokjin's voice startled her. She turned to see him holding the children's passports.

"I'm okay," she replied.

"Let me hold her. You should go to the counter to send your passport," he said.

Jiah passed the sleeping Saekang to him and went to the immigration counter with Jungkook, Wheein, Jisoo, Taehyung, Namjoon, and their boss. Once done, they cleared the security check and went to board the plane.

After a six-hour flight, they arrived at their destination. The evening sky was grey, and furious raindrops fell against the airport's roof, accompanied by a subtle earthy scent. From the escalator, she saw visitors carrying their wet umbrellas, and she worried about the children. She scanned the area for Hoseok.

When she stepped off the escalator, she waited for Hoseok, who descended with sleeping Taehyun in his arms. "It's raining," Jiah said once he stepped off. "I heard it's the Northeast Monsoon season now. Should we get them some raincoats?"

They paused, stepping aside to allow others to pass. Hoseok looked around and said, "Do you see anywhere we can buy some?"

"No, I don't."

Hoseok's lips stretched to one side. He said, "We'll think about this later. For now, let's get to the hotel."

**********

As they approached Marina Bay Sands, the rain slowed down. Jiah was relieved to see there was a roofed entrance where vehicles could drop off their passengers. Everyone disembarked from the mini-bus, and they were welcomed by bellboys.

A van parked behind the bus, with Yoongi inside, their luggage behind. And, for sure, it was always Yoongi stuck with the driver to chat.

After stepping out, Yoongi went to the back trunk and retrieved all the luggage while the driver went to the backseat doing the same. Three bellboys came with big, golden carts. They stacked the luggage carefully before bringing them into the hotel.

Seokjin checked them in under their sponsor's name, and Jiah noticed him sighing as the receptionist typed. She knew his thoughts – no one felt comfortable being sponsored by a person of questionable intentions.

With check-in completed, they received their room card. Each adult was going to share their rooms with the children. All the children decided who they wanted to be with. Taehyun, as usual, didn't want to get separated from Hoseok.

But to everyone's surprise, Saekang reached her arms for Yoongi, surprising the rest. Jiah automatically transferred the baby bag to him. Yoongi and Saekang stared at each other for a while before the baby broke into a smile. It made Yoongi break into a gummy grin too. Saekang wasn't the only child who chose Yoongi. The twelve-year-old Jaeil too. Jaeil helped Yoongi carry their bags.

When Jiah thought none of the kids would choose her, a pair of small arms wrapped around her hips. She looked down and saw grinning Joohee, her missing incisors giving her a cute look.

"Jiah unni!" the girl cooed, greeting.

"Hi!" Jiah replied with the same tone.

"Jiah unni doesn't have a friend now. Can I stay with Jiah unni?" Joohee asked.

Smiling, Jiah said, "Of course."

"Jiah unni, is Seokjin oppa going to sleep with Jiah unni and me?"

Taken aback by the question, the woman's eyes grew wide as she incredulously exclaimed, "What?"

Joohee laughed at her reaction. Her small index finger wiggled as she said, "Jiah unni shy-shy!"

"I'm not!"

"Seokjin oppa likes Jiah unni," the girl sang.

Exasperatedly laughing, she said, "Who taught you these things?"

"No one. He behaved the same way my mom liked ahjussi," Joohee said, and it got Jiah softly smiling at her.

Taking the girl's bag and slinging it over her shoulder, Jiah held Joohee's small hand. "Let's go to our room now," she said.

As they walked to the elevator together with the rest, Joohee loudly asked, "What will happen if Hoseok oppa likes Jiah unni?" Her words echoed through the hall, drawing the attention of other Bejiwoo staff. It urged Jiah to put an index finger on her lips and shushed the girl.

Raising her head, she saw Hoseok was smiling at them, but she ignored him. Looking at her reflection on the elevator's wall, she knew it. Joohee had done a good job of getting her cheeks flushed in crimson.