※ twenty-five

“At this point, I’m sure they’re trying to play with us for something to laugh at.” Seokjin huffed a breath, leaning his back on the wide counter table. “Otherwise, why they insisted on wanting Hoseok to come most of the time back then, when Amber had been the one present at the past sponsor public party?”

“They’ve been using us to brag to the world that they had done admirable deeds,” Wheein said, rolling her dark eyes before glancing at her boss’ assistant. Jisoo, sitting beside her, subtly nodded.

Jiah asked, “who are they?”                            

Hoseok carefully stated, “some rich people who use the vulnerable for fame.” All eyes shifted to the boss. Shades of heat colored his ears. “W-well – H-How should I put this?” Soon after, pink tints tainted his cheeks.

“Jiwoo got this place from that bastard’s relative. Thanks to her blind love,” Yoongi spat. All eyes were on him this time, yet he only looked at Seokjin and Hoseok. “You guys know what I mean.”

None of the staff dared to question, and it was enough to tell Jiah that it was one of the circle’s taboos. However, judging by Wheein’s statement, she might have discovered a small truth behind Yoongi’s words.

“You don’t need to attend if you don’t want, Hoseok. I’ll go instead,” Yoongi said. He pushed his curly hair to the back with a sigh, leaning his back on the backrest.

Both Hoseok and Seokjin exchanged glances before their gazes escaped into nothingness. The long silence in the main area later led to the meeting’s dismissal.

As Jiah took a box to unpack their new stocks with Wheein, Hoseok called and wanted her in his room. She returned the bubble wrapped flats to the box, and later, Jisoo offered to help. She thanked her Jisoo before she sprang up from the velvety stool.

Jiah rushed to her boss’ office. "Yes?" she asked after knocking on the glass door.

He strode to close all the vertical blinds existed in the office. “Have a seat,” he said after noticing his assistant was still standing.

The metal backrest chilled her palm. She pulled it, allowing hisses to escape the metal and tiled surface. For a moment, the room smelled like toothpaste, reminding her that Hoseok had stayed overnight in the store.

Hoseok glanced at his assistant before announced, “I’m going to go again."

Jiah blinked her eyes. “The public party?”

He nodded. “I mustn’t let Yoongi go if I am their pawn to bring Bejiwoo down.”

“What do you mean?” The assistant asked, eyebrows creased.

“I need to push myself to stand tough if that stops them from using me as amusement.”

The girl with the high bun kept quiet, remembering the trouble Hoseok had during the previous public party. Then, she said, “you need to be perfectly ready.”

His head nodded again, but this time he smiled a bit. He said, “you need to be ready too. I don’t know how crazy the situation will get.” He inhaled a wobbly breath. “I want you… I want you to be mentally prepared for me. I mean, you won’t be mentally ready alone but–”

The pause led to a long silence.

She knew. She knew what Hoseok was worried about. She remembered the detail Yoongi told her. Looking up at her boss, she curved a light smile as she uttered, “I just need you to prepare whatever you can. You can lean on me as much as you want. I’ll be there with you.”

They stared at each other for some time. Thanks to the heater, the room was quiet and warm. Otherwise, the silence would turn to ice. Too icy to break, too solemn. His stare was rueful, tense, eyes sparkling. It crumpled her heart for an unknown reason.