※ thirty-six

[!] trigger warning [!]
sexual coercion, abusive relationship

for those who don’t know what is ‘sexual coercion’, an explanation will be shown in the next chapter.

[italicized in narration – past event]

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Jisoo had always yearned for a love story that ended with a "happily ever after." If she could live a fairy tale life, she would. While she didn't fall in love with Jimin at first sight, she developed a crush on him that quickly blossomed.

She fell deeply in love with Jimin. He possessed qualities that she admired – coolness, gentleness, kindness, a great sense of humor, and a knack for connecting with children. Thoughts of him made her heart flutter. She believed he was her ideal man, and it was even better that he had a close friendship with her brother. With Jimin's bond with her protective brother, she knew she wouldn't have to exert much effort to gain his approval of their relationship in the future.

Valentine's Day stands out in her memory as the day she mustered the courage to ask Jimin out on a date. To her delight, he accepted. It was on that special day that she confessed her feelings for him. Jimin appeared surprised, leaving her nervously pounding heart audible in her chest.

Trying to ease the tension, she assured him that he was under no obligation to reciprocate if he didn't share the same feelings. Her words stumbled and her voice cracked with nervousness. However, to her surprise, Jimin pulled her into a kiss that caught her off guard. They shared a slow, tender kiss, and she eagerly kissed him back.

It was her first kiss, and it felt sweet and gentle. Her heart fluttered, and butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Jimin's soft voice made her feel as if she were living in a fairy tale. As they slowly pulled away, their faces just an inch apart, Jimin whispered, "I like you too."

They decided to keep their relationship a secret, and she was fine with that. Jisoo and her boyfriend agreed to wait until they were ready to announce it to the world. Jimin's sweet gestures and words had her enthralled, like a baby falling for their mother's soothing lullaby.

Their relationship progressed into the first year, and Jisoo was filled with excitement as she planned a special celebration. She researched the best gifts for men on Google, watched handmade gift tutorials on YouTube, and explored visuals of candlelight dinners on Pinterest. However, her efforts were in vain when Jimin asked her to cancel their date. He had some matters to settle in his hometown, he explained.

It would be a lie to say that she wasn't saddened by the cancellation. She wished she could maintain a cool attitude and shrug off the sadness, but instead, she forced herself to reassure her boyfriend that it was okay. Every day, she expressed her love for him, but on that day, her call was abruptly ended after a quick goodbye. It caught her off guard.

But it was okay, she told herself. He must have been busy, she reasoned. He simply didn't have a moment to say "I love you" like he always did, she thought.

They still saw each other every day at work, but their interactions seemed to be dwindling. Their conversations revolved solely around business, with no traces of their romantic or even friendly connection.

One day, Jisoo's excitement peaked when Jimin mentioned wanting to take her out on their anniversary. It might have been late, but she didn't mind. To her, every day felt like their anniversary.