※ twenty-six

They left the coffee shop. There were more than five plastic bags in their hands with snacks, coffee, and ice cream for their friends. Seokjin paid them all except for one. Tiramisu that Jiah bought at a bakery for Hoseok.

As they walked, Seokjin spoke, “You looked like you were miles away when we ate.”

Jiah pursed her lips, suppressing a smile. “The wasabi buzzed my brain,” she drawled, making the older man guffaw. “But I was also thinking about the sponsor.”

They passed a mother with a baby in the stroller and smiles formed on their faces. As his smile faded, he said, "That's the problem we have every year. Especially after Jiwoo left us.”

“What’s their connection?” Jiah asked out of the blue. She was aware she shouldn’t ask that. Nevertheless, if it helped her understand the whole situation, she didn't think it would hurt for breaking the rule Yoongi had set for her for the first time.

“Jiwoo is in a relationship with Lee Soohyuk, Kang’s adopted son. And apparently, the family doesn’t favor Jiwoo as they have arranged a marriage for him with someone they have partnered with in business.” Silence again. He inhaled a deep breath and continued, “Soohyuk seemed like a good guy to begin with. He showered and pampered Jiwoo with love. He was the one who made Jiwoo open her boutique at the premise his despicable father owns. And… that’s how the Bejiwoo store ended up in trouble.”

They walked slowly.

“What about the sponsor?” She asked. 

Seokjin seemed to understand the question. “They found out Amber owns an orphanage. They offered her to sponsor their summer vacations, and then–" he turned his head with a defeated face. “The girls were brainwashed by 'good' political statements. Two-faced bitch, you know.”

She blinked. “What makes you say that?”

"Every time they offer a sponsor, they always hold a public party. To show the world they have a positive reputation, obviously. Humble people won’t wander around bragging,” he spat.

The woman shook her head. “We are capable of breaking the ties, aren’t we?”

Seokjin stopped walking, while Jiah who was a step ahead, turned to face the man. “Not when Jung Jiwoo and Lee Soohyuk aren’t here. In any case, they'll kick us out and demand a large amount of compensation. If that happens, we won’t have enough money to rent another place,” he said. “We have stocks and ongoing designs from our manufacturer, to keep the boutique alive. We need to pay them, pay you all, and taxes.”

If they chose to reject the sponsor, then they would be on the verge of bankruptcy.

“That also means, when Bejiwoo is no longer in the business and fashion industry, we have to part ways,” he paused, studying Jiah’s face. There was a glint of coldness and emptiness in his words. “Which is why we’ve been pushing Hoseok into doing stuff we don’t need him to do. We don’t want Jiwoo’s hard work to end in vain.”

That explained why Hoseok has always had a sketchbook with him. With Yoongi and Seokjin as his wings, they pushed him to work on something that could save the store. To keep sketching and sending any potential designs, get them in physical form, and sell them or perhaps, she was wrong about that.

“Hoseok’s also been working hard to find ways to break free from the tie. He’s been sketching for fashion shows. They pay us a huge amount. Good fashion designs could be used for fashion shows, but he needs Amber’s confirmation.” 

Her face filled with puzzles. “Why?” 

“Bejiwoo has a meaning. A display that doesn't match the meaning would be absurd. That’s what she said.”