※ sixty-one

Maru had picked up Seokjin from his house and finally stopped at Jiah's residence.

As Maru assisted Jiah in loading her luggage into the Hyundai Kona's trunk, she noticed her father narrowing his eyes at Maru. Swiftly, she waved her arm down and stomped her foot, causing her father to look at her. "Stop it!" she whispered with a grumble.

Mr. Lee's arms were both behind him, his eyes squinting at Jiah this time. "You better take care of ya'self, my daughter," he said. "Or I'll fly to the US and come back with one of his arms."

"Ew! You need to stop watching too many crime shows," Jiah said, grimacing as she remembered her father's new interest.

Ignoring her, he looked at Seokjin, who was in the front seat, typing something on his phone. "And who's dat?" he asked in a thick foreign accent, narrowing his eyes at Seokjin. As if Seokjin felt someone watching him, he lifted his head and saw Mr. Lee. He smiled and bowed to the elderly man.

Mr. Lee chuckled and nodded at him. Turning to Jiah, he asked, "yer second boyfriend?"

Jiah rapped, "Can you stop pointing at every single man I meet and calling them my boyfriend?" Both of her palms landed on her face as she shook her head, muttering, "Oh goodness."

"You've been working to help me cover my debts, Jiah-yah. Now that half of it is paid, I can handle the rest on my own. It's time for you to stop worrying about me and focus on yourself," Mr. Lee said. "You can come back with some Western guys. I don't mind. Just don't get pregnant yet."

Jiah whined, "Appa!"

"I know young 'uns nowadays. They're wilder than my generation."

Imitating a crying sound, Jiah said, "Goodness. You're annoying me to no end!"

Mr. Lee laughed and said, "You'll miss your father annoying you. Mark my words!"

Pouting and whimpering, Jiah said, "This isn't a farewell!"

Chuckling, Mr. Lee responded, "I know." Smiling, he opened his arms for his daughter. "Come here," he beckoned.

A thump from the car's trunk caught Jiah's attention as she walked towards her father with her arms spread wide as well. Her lips curved downwards as she placed her palms on her father's back. Softly, she spoke, "Appa, please take care of yourself too. Don't forget to turn off the living room lights before you go to bed!"

Mr. Lee chuckled, patting his daughter's back with his palm. He said, "Alright, alright." As they pulled back, he added with a smile, "Good luck, my daughter!"

Jiah's vision became glassy, yet she managed to force a big smile and give her father a nod. She uttered, "I'll come back with good news."

Mr. Lee smiled as well, nodding his head while patting his daughter's head with his palm. Releasing a soft sigh, he said, "Get in."

Walking backward to the car, she plastered a smile for her father. Once she felt the warmth of the nearby metal, she reached for the door handle, pulled it, and got inside. She shut the door, faced the window, and continued to smile at her father. As the brake released, she waved at her father, and he waved back at her.

The car drove farther from her house, forcing her to turn towards the front and exhale. Just as she was about to rest her head on the window, Seokjin said, "Jiah-yah, Amber will join us tomorrow. The boutique needs her today. Is that okay with you?"

Jiah answered, "Of course."

"And also, if you see someone coming at the last minute, don't be surprised," Seokjin said.

Jiah blinked, looking at the older man with confusion. "Why? Who's coming?"

Seokjin paused, taking a deep breath before exhaling. He said, "You'll see."