※ final

With the help of Wendy's significant influence in the modeling industry, Jiah, Seokjin, Amber, and Maru received a tremendous amount of support from the public. The public opened a petition and a discussion on the case. As expected, with the stories that both Seokjin and Jiah shared (in addition to Maru sharing his thoughts about the company), the offenders faced an uproar on the internet.

When this happened, Jiah noticed how restless Maru had become with the fact that the public knew he was part of In-Kang. Despite Maru telling the public that he was ashamed of his family, during the conference, even though they were not in South Korea, Maru made a grand bow on the stage.

Having known Maru since high school, Jiah couldn't help but feel sympathetic toward him. The Maru she knew had a big heart and was friendly. The fact that he had made an effort to forgive and gather evidence proved to her and the world that the compassionate Kang Maru still existed. However, she couldn't shake off the image of Maru displayed during the past event, which remained cold in her memory.

With the assistance of Detective Nam, Jiah, Maru, and Seokjin met Lee Soohyuk. At first, Jiah doubted her courage to face him, and even Seokjin tried to dissuade her. However, she reassured him (and herself) that she would be okay.

Upon entering the barred visitor's area, she sat there staring at him. Her nails dug into her palms to the point of tearing the skin, and her fists shook on her thighs. No words were exchanged at first. But during the last minute of the visit, Jiah thought of Hoseok, his sister, and her mother. She told him, "I will never forgive you. But I hope you live an honest life."

When Soohyuk heard that, his eyes flickered in response.

Jiah wasn't trying to be an angel or appear pure. She harbored immense hatred for Soohyuk and In-Kang. As she had said, she would never forgive him. Yet, her mother used to tell her that every bad person had a story that led them astray. She didn't want to question Soohyuk or empathize with his story. Nevertheless, she hoped he would learn his lesson.

Their loved ones had died, the disaster had occurred. She didn't see the point of giving him the spotlight through hatred. However, on that day, she hoped justice would be served.

Detective Nam's wide circle of contacts proved beneficial. They hired the best prosecutor in the country, and the proceedings took place in a United States court. Jurors, judges, and lawyers from South Korea participated via video conference.

Jurors from both countries agreed that Soohyuk and Mr. Kang were guilty as charged.

And under the law, Lee Soohyuk was sentenced for twenty years in jail, six years of probation, no bails. Meanwhile, the CEO of In-Kang, Kang Taehwan, who had conducted the crime since the beginning, who had caused the death of many women, who had raped the victims – thanks to victims' testimony and Kang Maru's gathered evidences, he was sentenced to life prison.

Jiah cried of joy, hugged by Seokjin. Maru closed his eyes, a sigh was released, nodding his head as tears rolled down his cheeks. Amber also, with tears on her face, patting Maru's back.

**********

The weather in the city forced everyone to wear jackets, coats, and scarves around their necks. Some wore earmuffs, and many had beanie hats on their heads. Those who went out without gloves kept their hands in their pockets. The sun showered the country, causing passengers to squint as they walked. Vapors were released as they sighed or laughed.

Nervous, Jiah could feel her nose numbing, buffeted by the chilly wind and cheeks heating up, forming a pink tint. Her – now – shoulder-length, brown hair rested against her beige scarf.

"Sir?" She called out in English, half bending her body to get Detective Nam's attention as he sat on a bench.

"Hello," he replied in Korean. "Just speak comfortably in Korean. Amber doesn't even bother speaking in Korean with me."

Understanding the detective's intent, Jiah chuckled and nodded. "I got you," she said. "Why did you want to see me, by the way?"

Detective Nam pursed his lips briefly, then pointed to a space beside him. "Please, have a seat."

Without hesitation, Jiah took a big step forward and sat beside him. She turned her body to face him, noticing that he tilted his body to one side to retrieve a white envelope from his jumper pocket. Exhaling a soft breath upon seeing the envelope, he handed it to her.

Jiah took it, her eyebrows raised. "What is this?" she asked, staring at the envelope.

"Belongings of your mother," Detective Nam replied, causing Jiah's surprised eyes to flicker toward him. "A photo, a watch, and a bracelet. That's all we found that's belong to Song Yoon-ah."

Jiah returned her gaze to the envelope. Her thumb caressed the small, smooth texture, feeling the bumps of its contents. Overwhelmed, feeling as if she were close to her mother's presence, Jiah inhaled deeply and exhaled. Then, she said, "Thank you, Detective."

Detective Nam bobbed his head up and down, smiling at her.

**********

As Detective Nam returned to work that evening, she was left alone at the bench with a few visitors at the park. In her hand was a photo when she was a few months old in her father's arm. Her mother leaned her head on Mr. Lee's arm, smiling warmly for the camera.

Her mother's voice lingered in her memory, "when we first met, we were in our second semester of college. Your appa used to be so annoying!"

Jiah replied, muttering, "he's still annoying by the way."

Her mother's warm laugh echoed in her mind, threatening to fall a string of glossy line onto her cheek in the present. "It's his love language. He's a silly guy, I'm telling you!"

She blinked with a brief, breathy laugh. A tear dropped onto the glossy surface, sliding down as more tears joined the blot. Inhaling a deep sigh and wiping her wet cheeks with the back of her hands, her fingers then caressed the figure of the warmly smiling woman.

Her thumb still caressing her mother on the photo, her twitched up a bitter smile. With a shaky voice, she whispered, "Thank you for nurturing me. I love you, uhmma."