The Forest calls| Joseph

On the very outskirts of town, where the dead rest and forest grows wild, sits the morgue. A place where the dead are buried, burned, and butcherd.

"Andrew, ____, I have a commission a town over." Aesop said, holding his suitcase in one hand and slicking his hair back with the other.

Andrew looked up from his book," So soon?"

"Yeah, you just got back a day ago!" You said, looking up from one of Aesops' many, many ripped shirts.

"They've been spotted more and more recently, Andrew. Please restock my supply while I'm gone."

Andrew nodded and grabbed his Bible as the silver haired man turned to you.

"And,___?"

"Yes?"

"It's ok to look at the trees, but don't ever look in them."

That confused you, Aesop has always been a cryptic man. Was he just telling you not to get distracted by nature watching again.

"Don't worry, I'll keep up with work," You stood and followed him outside, brushing off your shoe length dress as Andrew waved goodbye,"Be safe."

"Safe travels"

The two of you watch until the man and his horse are out of sight.

"Well, I guess we better prepare for his return then. What do you think he'll exorcize this time?"

Andrew shrugged. There was no telling what he would be dealing with. Demons were unpredictable.

"...I'm heading into town to buy more vials and herbs. Can you write me a list of all we need? ....____?"

You were staring out into the woods,"Hm? What were you saying?"

"The List, I'm heading into town."

"Oh! I left it on the table!" Rushing into the home, you brought the list out for him along more than enough money to buy what he needed," Are you sure you don't want me to come?" You knew how scared some of the shop keepers were of him.

Tall, ghostly pale, Andrew Kreiss with his beautiful ruby eyes and snow white hair. You thought he was handsome, a bit underweight, but handsome nonetheless!

"I'll be fine." He assured you.

"Well, be safe then," you waved him off, watching as he left for evening. Now that it was just you, the home felt a lot emptier,"now then... back to fixing that dumb armor of his. " You wished Aesop would take better care of himself.

Sitting in the rocking chair, your mind wandered from topic to topic as you fixed his clothes along with your own and Andrew's.

"What shall we have for dinner.... hmm, I should go check on the garden..." The garden was well rounded with potatoes to greenbeans. But what you really wanted were peaches! Looking out the window, you desperately wished that some of those trees produced fruit, but not a single blossom ever bloomed from them. They never really produced anything. It really was a pity.

Getting up, you decided to take a break from sewing and put on Andrew's work boots. They were big and you felt swamped trying to walk in them as you entered the garden. Weeds had popped up, so you took the time to yank them out as you always did.

That's when you heard a snap, and then another and then the sound of bushes moving.

'What was that?!' You got up and moved quietly to the back door.

Was it a wild animal? There were plenty of wild boards living in these woods, and many bodies have been dragged out of the wood from bear attacks and getting mauled by boars. You quickly pocketed the sandwich you'd brought out with you and quietly grabbed the nearby hoe.