rocks and pebbles p.2| Fools gold

A/N: I was held at gun point my the Norton cult

Tick tick tick tick

The old grandfather clock ticked away as it always did in the corner of the living room.

Standing at the kitchen island Norton, or what used to be him, hunched over the island. Sitting in front of him was a cake. Freshly made icing melting down the sides.

"Well, here you go, uh Norton, just like I promised! We got back just in time." You sat across from him, wondering how this even happened! How did a human go from skin and bones to rocks and pebbles!?

"Eat." He said. You winced at his voice. It sounded like rocks on concrete being scrapped together.

"We- well, it's yours! You can eat it." He reached out for it but then looked at his new hand and frowned.

"Oh, that's right, here let me get you a spoon."

Handing the spoon to him, it suddenly shivered and flew out of your hand, sticking to his body.

'A magnetic field?' That would explain how his arm was still attached even when it was floating.

He grabbed the spoon off his body, accidentally crushing it between his fingers and grunted. You assumed he was saying sorry.

"Hey, hey, it's OK! I'll get us a new one." You took the spoon and sat it in the sink. Grabbing a new one, you cut into the cake and held it up to his face. The magnetic field was weaker near his face. Even if he was missing an eye, he was just as handsome as before.

'Norton' happily took a bite and swayed ever so gently in joy.

'Cute' digging in, you held up another slice for him. It must have been pretty good because he started tapping his feet next!

"We have to figure out how to change you back. You can't stay like this forever... and poor Margie...geez, what do we do? ....oh, I'm sorry, Norty, here." You'd stopped feeding him, so he poked your cheek with a rocky finger.

It didn't take long before the whole thing was gone.

"I know I said we should bathe and eat first, but I guess this was better, your filthy." He had crumbs and icing on his face. Maybe he couldn't control his tongue that well? Perhaps it was made out of a different mineral? What was his body made out of. You'd have to go to the library to figure that out. But first, clean up time.

Taking the plate and spoon, you began washing them. Then, I grabbed another plate that needed to be washed and a few more. Norton appeared next to you and hovered, watching you work. He made a face at the sight of the water.

"You can help, you know."

He huffed but took a dry rag and dried the plates and cups to put them away.

"Thank you,Norty. Let's go see if there's a way to change you back." He grunted and followed you, limping as he did. During the walk to the library, he reached a hand out to hold yours. Your heart squeezed, and you started to swing both your hands together, "I'm sure we'll find a way to turn you back."

He wasn't listening to anything you were  saying.

Pulling open the library door, you looked around the dusty, old library.

"Geez... place is bigger than I thought." Now, where would you even start? You doubted there was a book on how to turn your human turned rock friend back into a human, "Guess I'll get a mineral book." Seemed like a good start.

Wandering down aisle after the aisle, you came across the M section. Maybe you'd find a good and simple book on rocks and minerals?

"Ok, let's see...Nort....Norty?" He looked down at you with his glowing eye," I need both hands to look."