Walking home together | Norton

The small,golden bell is attached to the door of your small store jingled.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" You asked from the kitchen, wiping it down and cleaning off the tables.

"Hey, can I get the usual?"

You knew that voice. Looking up, you blinked at one of your usual. A miner who looked way too skinny.

"Hi Norton, tough day?" You asked, fixing him a cup of ice water.

"As usual." He sighed and fished out his wallet. He was starving. He hadn't had a chance to eat in five hours. The cheapest thing he could get was a small lunch bowl with grits and eggs. Pulling out his wallet, he realized he would have to choose between eating or paying for new clothes.

His shoes were already falling apart. He couldn't put it off any longer.

Sighing, he tried to think of what he could eat instead.

"Don't worry about the bowl." His stomach growled in protest.

Glancing at him, you shuffled to the back wordlessly. 'He really seemed like he was in pain.' You knew hunger pain when you saw it. Stepping back into the kitchen, you started cooking and messing around with a new recipe. Something that was a massive helping of beef, potatoes, and whatever extra ingredients you had lying around.

Mixing it all together, you made two bowls and jumped when the bell went off.

"Hey! Where are you going?! Norton!"

He stopped, "What?"

"Don't 'what' me, Get back here and sit down." Holding both steaming bowls, you sat them down at a table.

"I don't have any money."

"Did I ask if you had money?"

"....I don't want your pity."

"Then starve."

He came back inside and sat down as you poured him some pineapple and lemonade juice. Handing him a spoon, you dug in silently. Across from you, Norton practically wolfed everything down. Not even leaving a piece of cheese left!

"Oh wow, you were hungrier than I thought!" You weren't even halfway done yet," Besides, it wasn't pity... was it good?"

"Yeah, it was tasty."

"Good, cause I was thinking of adding it to my menu, and uh, can you do me a favor?"

He made a face, 'there it is' no one ever gave food away for free.

"Can you take this pitcher with you? I made too much. I don't want it to go bad." You hated tossing stuff out. So if someone else could drink it, then you'd gladly hand it over.

"...that's it?"

"I mean, did you want some bread?"

"No, I mean, why are you giving me this stuff?"

"Because I like you? And I'm not going to send you on your way starving. You look like you can hardly stand."

He didn't know how to feel about that. On one hand, free food but how he was obligated to do favors. It was like you'd read his mind.

"Listen, I'm not gunna to ask you for some random out of pocket favor. This is from one struggling soul to the next. We're in the same shit hole."

He thought about that for a moment, "Yeah...I guess we are... thanks."

"No problem, get home safe."

And with another thank you. He left.

After that, you'd both begin getting closer. Showing up at each other's jobs and chatting. He didn't mind telling you his plans. As a businesswoman, he knew you knew a lot more about how to save and make money! He respected you for that.