Rocks and Pebbles| Fools Gold

You heard him before you saw him. It was around 6 am. when he shuffled into the kitchen. Looking for something to eat.

"Good morning."

"Hey." He nodded to You, looking around cabinets for something to keep his stomach from sticking to his back.

"Did you already have plans to eat something? I was going to make everyone eggs and rice, maybe some muffins or grits."

He paused and looked at you," If you can spare a bowl."

"Oh, of course, I love cooking. Did you have anything in mind?"

"Anything." He sat at the table, resting his eyes a bit longer.

"You don't look so good... hey, look at me?" Coming around the counter, you dried your hands off on a clean rag and held his face up," focus on my finger... good lord Norton, how much have you been eating?" He was so way too thin now that you're up close to him. Sunken and shaky eyes, it was clear he wasn't in the best health.

"I'm just hungry."

"I can see! Hold in, I'll get you something." Quickly cracking some eggs, you served him a plate of perfectly salted and peppers eggs.

"Thanks." He even seemed to struggle with eating that!

Making a face, you took it upon yourself to get him back into a good eating schedule. It was clear he needed it.

"You definitely need to eat more, a guy your size should twice as big..." As a chef, you had been the personal cook of many important leaders, trainers, models, and famous people.

It was easy to tell when someone wasn't eating. Maybe he had an eating disorder?

"So what do you like, Norton? Spicy or sweet things?"

"I'll eat just about anything, but I haven't had sweets in a long time." He responded lowly.Watching you move about, taking spices, bags, and trays out.

"Then I'll make you a cake! I think we have enough vanilla. It should be done by the time we get back."

He perked up behind your back. A cake? For him? As simple as it was, he looked forward to that! Free sweets?! And free food by a famous chef!? Talk about a lucky break!

He could already see it now! A warm slice of vanilla cake waiting for him after a warm shower. In his mind, everything was perfect! But of course, nothing went right when it came to him. He should have known better.

The match took far longer than it should have. In the beginning, there was no sign nor hair of a hunter or foe. There was a table and a deck of cards in the center.

Black Jack was today's game.

First to 21 or lower wins. Simple!

And then it wasn't.

There was a heavy perfume that filled the area. It was thick and scratched your throat to the point of gagging. No matter how far you ran to escape it, the smell clung to your lungs like mold to food.

You tried climbing atop one of the second story houses in dark woods. To at least try to escape the smog when you heard a scream.

You jumped! Hair rising on end as you looked around wildly!

'What was that?!'

Another scream.

'That sounded like Margie!' You looked over the forest and tried to see the dancer. but couldn't tell a dead tree from a pallet. Armed with nothing but a small cast iron skillet on your hips and some eggs in a sturdy container. You decended into the foggy haze.