Chapter 46 - The Future

Katie's P.O.V

"Is this Katie Louise Sixx?" A deep American voice asked me.
"Yes, it is." I stood by the reception desk of the museum.
"Hi. This is Reggie Lloyd-Evans." In that one sentence, all my dreams came true.
I stood shocked.
"Are you still there?" He asked me.
"Yes! Hi. Nice to meet you." My brain shut off.
"You also. I've ready your transcript, 'The Willow Tree'... I love it. I'd like to work with you on it, and bring it to Broadway." He smiled.
"Holy shit..." I breath out, making him laugh.
"Is that a 'yes'?" He asked.
"YES! Thank you so much!" I bit my lip to not let myself cry.
"I'll ring you tomorrow with the details." He smiled.

. . .

"Reggie Lloyd-Evans?" Bonnie gasped, a hand over her mouth, shocked, as I told everyone.
I nodded.
"Didn't he direct 'Keep Talking About Tony'?." Paul asked, smiling at my news.
I nodded again. "That's being made into a movie..." I started to cry.
Archie hugged me sideways, the biggest smile on his face.
"Katie, congratulations!" Christoph beamed.
Naomi pulled a chair up, next to Paul, but came round to join the hug. "I'm so happy for you!"
"My play's going on Broadway." I sobbed, the biggest smile on my face.

. . .

It was a hard day.
It had been three days, since the wedding and my big news.
I stared at the boxes around my apartment, before I looked up to my best friend. Her stuff packed up, mine all staying put.
"You going to be OK?" Roxy asked me, ready to go, her hair back to half black, half white.
I nodded. "Naomi will be here in an hour or so... You going to be OK?" I asked her.
She shook her head at me, before she started crying. "I'm moving in with a boy!"
I pulled her for a hug. "At least it's not Archie." I tried to make her laugh.
"Heard that!" He called from the hall, taking some boxes down to the car, with Richard's help.
"I'm gonna miss you so much!" She cried in my shoulder.
"I'm gonna miss you too!" I held her tight.
"Ladies, you're still going to be friends." Richard chuckled.
"WE KNOW!" We both cried, holding each other.

Richard and Archie managed to pull us apart, and we all walked down to the street, where Archie was going to give Roxy a ride to Christoph's inner city apartment. Her new home...
I gave her one last big hug, before letting her go. "Coffee, tomorrow, OK?" I begged her.
"Promise." She nodded. "Love you."
"Love you too." I pouted, standing with Richard, as she walked to Archie's car, climbing in.
As they drove away, Roxy waving out the window, until we were out of sight from each other, a loud bright red Ferrari turned onto our street, coming to a stop in front of Richard and I.
Naomi stuck her head out of the passenger side window, Paul sat in the drivers seat. "THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!" She was early.
"COME ON ALREADY!" I beamed, opening her door for her, running inside with her, excited for this new chapter in our lives.

. . .

We sat on the couch, a blanket wrapped around us, sharing a bowl of popcorn, watching the TV.
We had Reggie Lloyd-Evans' musicals playing, watching them in the order he brought them to life.
I was taking mental notes, as Naomi, sitting on my right, sung along to every single song, as Richard and Paul sat at our table, talking over a beer.
I was due to meet with Reggie tomorrow, to go over the plans. He loved it. He loved everything about my play, and couldn't wait to get started on it.

Naomi had a weeks break from any events, so chose to take the time to focus on her and Paul. She had advanced from a poster of him on her bedroom wall, to a framed photo of the two of them, on her bedside, talking and meeting on the regular.
She was still in the oogly-eyed faze, which I had just gotten out of with Richard, but she was less blabbery about him, now only gushing about him when asked.
She was unpacked and fully moved it and she fit in perfectly. It was different, clear that Roxy was no longer present, but it was great. Naomi was the best company.

. . .

I was finally working and getting paid.
Regular, almost daily, meetings with Reggie Lloyd-Evans. He fixed us up with a cast, after a long audition trial, hearing so many voices sing and dance. Some, it was clear that fit a particular role, but others, they didn't cut it. There was a lot of 'We'll call you' and not doing so.
I had many offers on my show, but none were as promising as Reggie's. He was taking us straight to Broadway, while all others wanted to get it on a smaller stage first, to test the audience.
We had the stage set up made, with the props, and we reached the point of rehearsals.
Richard's second album, Silent So Long, was finished, and he was off on tour with it, as well as having provided instrumental demos of the songs for The Willow Tree. He called every couple of days, sending all encouragement and love. He vowed to make it to the opening night.
Reggie stuck close to the original script, changing very minor things, telling me I had a true talent for writing.
My friends were all back to their normal routines, and Paul was planning on moving to New York on a more permanent basis.
My dad, who was now sober, started to share his works again, having a grand reopening of his display room, which we all attended.
His works were happier now. Still the dream of me, but now the reality I hold.
My personal favourite was called 'Broadway'. It was of me and him watching a show, from up on the balcony seats. Our backs were to the viewer, but we knew it was us.
He kept his promise and stayed in touch, giving me a sense of family back.
Finally, three days into the new year, the big day had arrived. My opening night on Broadway...