Chapter 40 - Mechanical Heart

Bonnie's P.O.V

Being here, at the Need For Speed, was a dream come true.
Being here, with my best friends, topped it off.
Being here and working for Need For Speed, was the icing.
Being here and being with Archie, was the cherry on the cake.

I smiled, watching Archie, as he was talking to some guys on the crew, talking about the garage he works in and where his history with cars started. He was just in his zone.

I first met Archie when Christoph's car broke down. He's a Yankee born and raised.
Christoph didn't have a lot of money, back then, he had only just moved to New York, from Germany, so I offered to pay for the repairs and he'd pay me back, when he could, which he did.
Archie was just this guy... He had longish brown hair, and a maniacal laugh. He just seemed like a really chill dude, who just has this passion for cars.

We first only saw his legs. He was under another car, finishing off that job. I called out to him, as no one else seemed to be around, and that was it. We met Archie Hobbs.
I started to like him, when he really started to hang around. I was twenty one, then. He bought me my first alcoholic beverage.

Archie laughed, with his friends, and looked over at me. He smiled, forcing me to smile back.
I was leaning on the wall, opposite where he was, stood at the front of the garage.
He excuse himself and walked up to me.

"You having fun?" He asked.
"Just admiring the view." I teased.
"Such a Bonnie move to make. I'll let you know, I have a girlfriend." Archie chuckled. "She's you, but still."
I laughed. "Damn, right!" I nudged his arm, as he leaned on the wall next to me.
"I should be cleaning, right now, but eh..." He shrugged, crossing his arms and taking a break.
"Glad you joined me. You remember when we met?" I asked him.
"Yeah. Schneid-ie's car broke down. You guys brought it to the shop. I had only been working there a month. That was my second big job. Thank you." Archie looked down at me.
I was only a few inches shorter, then him.
"You're welcome." I smiled, looking into his blue eyes.

"And Paul Landers has made his twentieth lap!" The announcer called out.
"He's gonna win." Archie jumped off the wall, looking up at the screen.
"How can you tell this early?" I asked. I loved the rally, but I couldn't really keep up, until the end.
"He's been in for seven hours, now. Look at the numbers. Lap twenty, Landers. Lap eighteen, Jenkins. Paul's in the lead, it's gonna be so difficult to keep up at this point!" Archie pointed up at the screen, showing me where to look.
"How difficult?" I asked, hearing the cars pass us. Most likely Paul, in the lead.
"With the speed and the corners... He's doing the max speed, that he can... Paul's made up time, from those two guys pulling in before. His only worry is that yellow car, the Italian guy, but he's two laps behind, second behind Jenkins!" Archie turned to me.
"You are so fucking good at this!" I smiled, actually shocked at Archie's knowledge.

Archie smiled and the yellow car drove passed the garage, with smoke trailing behind it.
"That's a job." Archie cringed, looking at it.
"What is that?" I asked, standing next to Archie.
"The outside temperatures are warm and the exhaust smoke is still white, that's a problem. That means the coolant has somehow leaked into the combustion chamber - This could be caused by a few things, such as a blown head gasket, cracked engine block, or cracked cylinder head. They've hit another car, to put it plainly, and they've got fucked." Archie explained.
"Damn..." We watched the driver throw a fit. "So, Paul's won?"
"Oh, yeah!" Archie smiled, nodding at me.

. . .

"Four hours left... Can you believe it?!" Naomi asked, sat on the table that held all the tools.
"I can't believe Katie has been in the same space, for a whole day!" Archie pointed over at Katie, sat on the sofa, with Richard.
"I heard that!" Katie called out, making us laugh.
"Don't be mean. Katie stayed in the area the last time we were here." I smiled, standing next to Naomi, as Archie was walking to the fridge.
"Yeah, but we had to pay to get in. We weren't getting paid for being in, then." Archie grabbed some more water, and came back to us.
"I'm not getting paid for this." Naomi smiled, looking at me.
"I'll cut you in." I joked.
She laughed. She didn't care, she was just glad to be here.

"Hey, what was your first impression of Archie?" I asked Naomi, taking a bottle of water from Archie. I was curious, as she was the last to meet him.
"He just screamed 'Christoph's friend!'." Naomi laughed, making me laugh. "Really! I don't know... He's was just this dude, who was invited out to drink with us. It was a fun night and Archie was really funny, so I knew we'd get along. Turning up in a star spangled tie, with matching socks, was the cherry on the cake, that night!" Naomi smiled. "And those over the knee camo shorts you had on!"
"I'm very spontaneous, and the fact that I screamed 'Christoph's friend', whilst wearing that outfit, says a lot about the both of us, especially considering, that Christoph is German." Archie smiled brightly.
We laughed and Naomi started to cry, laughing hard.

"Do I dare ask?" Katie laughed, walking over.
"I'm asking about her first impression of Archie!" I smiled, still laughing.
"Oh, god! That outfit!" Katie laughed, looking at Archie.
"You really can't say much - a hoodie, with your boyfriend on it." Archie smirked.
"Dude!" Katie accept defeat.
"How was it for you? First meeting Archie?" I asked Katie, as Richard joined us, holding a drink for Katie and himself.
"Oh, it was the day before. Me and Roxy were walking home, passed the garage, and Christoph was there, about the car. There was just this dude - car obsessed, action movie maniac, with his wild, crazy, but perfect personality. You fit right in, Archie. I knew it wasn't the last time I'd see you." Katie smiled at Archie.
"That actually means a lot. Thank you." Archie smiled, genuinely. You could see it on his face, that it really meant a lot.

Archie's a loud, exited, but level headed, person. He cares more about the people around him, than anything, and he shows that all the time. I mean, our first date! That outfit he wore, and how he ran back out to the car, for my bag, and helped that dude move his car. Archie's the greatest guy in the world.
And I'm the lucky one here!