Chapter 25 - The Countdown Begins

Katie's P.O.V

"I'm the mechanic for Paul Landers!" Archie stood up on the coffee table and shouted.
"No way!" Naomi shouted, sitting up.
"YUS!" I raised my fists into the air.
"We are seven days away! Let me hear yoooooou!" Archie yelled and we all started cheering.
Yesterday, Roxy said she'd move in with Christoph, and today we were all over at ours.

Me, Richard, Bonnie and Roxy on the sofa, Christoph in one armchair, Naomi in the other, and Archie was sat on the floor, in front of the TV.
And yes, I said Richard was sat next to me. It was the evening, work day was over, and we invited him round to meet Archie and Christoph. Well, he already met Christoph, but they didn't get to talk much, then.

Minnie, my badger, was sat in the empty corner of the living room, next to the TV. I spent the whole day working on my play, Roxy was out modelling, Bonnie at the salon, and Naomi was out venue hunting, with Avery.
We were tired, but not enough to turn away our friends and each other.

Richard laughed at us, as we screamed. Paul Landers was the best. He's won the last four times and he's said to be the best rally racer out of Germany.
"Richard, when I say 'Let me hear you', you're supposed to cheer." Archie joked, opening the can of cola he had on the coffee table.
"Woo!" Richard raised his hands, no enthusiasm.
"You don't like Paul Landers?" I asked him, ready to kick him out.
"I do. He's a friend- An old friend -from Germany. I just know him." Richard shrugged.

We all looked at Richard.
"But he's the best rally driver out of Germany. He's so private, he never talks to the press. You never hear about him coming or going." Christoph spoke up. "How did you meet him?"
"We grew up on the same street for five years, then he moved, but we met again went he was out with some friends. We're pretty good friends." Richard smiled.
"Oh, what?!" I looked at him. "I used to have a poster of Paul, on my wall."
"Wow, really?" Richard looked at me.
"She really did. I nicked it!" Archie pointed at me.
It was true.

"Wow." Richard chuckled.
"Have you met him, yet?" Roxy asked Archie.
"Once! He came over to say hi. Wow! My hands were sweating, I was covered in oil, he was so cool about it all." Archie smiled, holding his hands up.
"That's Paul Landers." Richard smiled, with a nod.
Bonnie nudged him, impressed.
"Did you talk to him?" I asked.
Archie laughed. "I tried to. I was like 'Yeah, what's up, man? Can I get you a drink? I've been a mechanic for years'." Archie did robot arms.
"Did he start talking about the soundtrack?" Richard asked.
"No? Not to me, but he said something about a soundtrack, to another driver." Archie thought back to his meeting.

"What's the soundtrack?" NayNay asked, just as confused as we all were.
"You'll have to ask him. If you're working with him, he'll certainly mention it." Richard pointed at Archie, holding his beer up.
"I hope! He's my fucking idol! I watched him win his first race, live! He was nineteen years old!" Archie smiled.
"He's a king. A fucking king!" I smiled.
"Is he nice in person?"
"Did you get a picture with him?!"
"Can we get an autograph?!"
"Can we meet him?!"
Archie was flooded with questions.
"Relax! You can all meet him, just don't overwhelm him." Archie held his hands up.

Everyone, but Archie and Richard, cheered.
"Let's get pizza!" Naomi shouted out, within all the noise.
"I'm up for that!" I stood up, pointing at her. I retrieved the menu, from the fridge door, and handed it to NayNay.
Christoph took note of all our orders and made the call, on the balcony.
Archie and Roxy got us all another round of drinks and we started watching Paul Landers on YouTube, using my Xbox One.

"As soon as he puts on the possum hat, you know you are in for a good time!" Richard pointed at the screen, as we watched a fan video of Paul walking into the pit, in his possum hat. Paul turned around and waved to the crowd and everyone started screaming, making us laugh.
"I can't believe he's racing. He's only done Need For Speed twice before." Bonnie was lying back on the sofa, slouching.
"He's just incredible. What made him want to drive?" I asked, as Christoph came back.
"We actually nicked his dads car once, and started speeding. It was wild." Richard told us, thinking back.
"Epic." Me and Bonnie smiled.
Naomi was quietly watching the videos, in her own little world. I know she has a crush on Paul Landers. She told us, when he first did Need For Speed. We weren't there, but we watched it on TV.

. . .

It took a hour, but our food arrived and we all ate in the kitchen. Christoph used a chair from off the balcony, to join us round the table. It was a little tight, but we made it work.
We all mixed and matched with the food, all talking about the most random shit. Nights like these were the best. We had zero fucks for the outside world.
Archie and Bonnie sat next to each other, throwing chips into each others mouths, Christoph sat next to Roxy, dodging food, since Archie was next to him, then Naomi sat next to Roxy, then me next to her, then Richard, between me and Bonnie,

Slowly, me and Richard just started talking to each other, Naomi pitching in, when she wasn't talking to Roxy or Bonnie. We talked about that 'not date' I was on. I explained to Richard what happened and how. He completely understood.
"So, you're now friends with the guy?" Richard asked, his phone dinging.
"Yeah, we text now and then, but not really seen Jordon since the 'not date'." I shrugged, grabbing a slice a pizza.
Richard wiped his hands and checked his phone. "I'll be back in a second." He announced.
We all nodded and he got up, texting on his phone. He walked to the front door, opened it and looked out.
"You alright, Richard?!" Christoph called. All of us looking over.
"Margaux!" Richard called, motioning someone over.
"Margaux?" Me and Bonnie looked at each other.