Chapter 1 - Men

Katie's P.O.V

That's me, Naomi, Roxy and Bonnie, in the picture. New Years Eve 2015. Twenty minutes to go, until 2016. I'm the twenty five year old, with the half black and half red hair. NayNay is next to me, then Roxy, then Bonnie. We've been best friends our whole lives.

It's 2017 now. February 2nd. 12:23 PM.
My hair is now the natural dark brown, but with red highlights on the tips. I'm twenty six, now - twenty seven in August. I live with Roxy, in an apartment in New York. I was born in England, but when I turned one, me and my parents moved to Ohio. Me and my friends all agreed to get the fuck outta there, when we could. Nothing wrong with the place, just the people we've been stuck with.

Anyway... Me and Roxy now share an apartment, in New York. Roxy works in modelling, and I'm working on my dream. We'll get round to that later...
We're currently on the balcony of our third floor apartment, looking at the moving truck, outside. It's just us two, right now. Bonnie was at work - Hairdresser - and Naomi was going through wedding ideas, helping her sister. Her sister was getting married in seven months. Believe me when I tell you he was one lucky guy.

Anyway! A new guy is moving into the building and we have reason to believe he's moving onto our floor. We want to see him. Don't judge. You do too.
We know they're a guy, cause there's a black box thing, with 'Richard' written on the side, sat on the pavement.

"A car's pulling up." Roxy pointed out, as a big black car pulled up, in front of the moving van.
I stood up, from the table and chairs we have, and looked over the rails. The drivers door opened and someone climbed out. We couldn't quite see, due to the truck. The door closed and whoever it was, was gone for a moment.
"Oh my God... Our new neighbour is Houdini!" I smiled, looking at Roxy, making her laugh.
"Wait!" She smiled, grabbing my arm for her attention. She pointed at the back of the moving truck, where a guy was now standing.

There were about four dudes, getting the furniture into the building. We couldn't hear anything on our floor, but the walls are thick, so nothing is certain as to whether or not he is moving onto our floor.
The guy seemed tall... He had black hair, clearly dyed. He was wearing a black shirt, with black jeans and black shoes. He also had sunglasses covering his eyes.

"Meow." Roxy joked, looking at him, some hair getting in her face.
"He could honestly be anyone." I pointed out, laughing at us gawking at him. He was buff and nice to look at.
Roxy brushed her hair back and smiled at me. "True! But Valentine's day is not far away."
"You have a boyfriend. Can't imagine Christoph will be too happy about you and Mr Clearly Dyed Hair, over there." I joked, pointing down at the guy.
We laughed and looked over at him, to find him looking up at us, smirking.

"Shit!" We both laughed, running into our apartment. I slid the door closed and laughed with Roxy.
"At least he couldn't hear us!" Roxy laughed, standing in front of me.
I covered my face from embarrassment and nodded. "He clearly knows we've been watching him!" I said, looking through the glass doors at the van.
"It'll be fine. The chances of us crossing paths with him are so slim. Who lives next door to us anyway?" Roxy asked, motioning to my right, her left. We don't know those guys.
"Yeah, true... New subject?" I asked, still laughing a little.
"New subject." Roxy nodded.

We were already in the kitchen, as it was open plan with the living room, so we grabbed some glasses and poured us some soda. We were going out tonight, so we weren't drinking. Yet.
We sat at the table and I asked about Roxy's valentines plans. We met Herr Schneider on a trip to Russia, six years ago. Now I said 'Herr', cause he's German. We were both on holidays, when they met. He asked me for her number, so I gave it to him, not really thinking he'd call, but he did - two days later. He moved to New York, four years ago. And may I say... What a guy!
They are head-over-heels in love with each other. I envy them. Christoph works in some real business, but he gets loads of time off, like dude! Lucky you!

Things only started to get real serious, when he moved down here, though. The distance was killing them, so he left his life behind and moved here. Again... What a guy!
For Valentines day, Christoph is taking Roxy out for dinner, at one of the most finest restaurants and then, they are going to see a Broadway show. He loved to spoil her.
Multiple times he had treated Roxy and me to Broadway tickets, which is where my dream comes from.

I'm working on becoming a play writer. I'm sat with my laptop for hours a day, writing my current (and first) play. The Willow Tree.
My friends love it and completely understand when I get a idea, I need to note it down. I always carry around my notebook and pen, when I'm out. The inspiration just hits me. The dream started when I did work experience at a theatre in Ohio. It was pure magic.

"What about you? Valentine's day?" Roxy asked, sat opposite me.
"Me and Naomi are gonna watch The Lost Boys again. The usual." I shrugged. I was single. Again. Never had a serious relationship. No man or woman has ever taken an interest in me. No joke.
"Christoph has a friend at work, who is single?" Roxy suggested a blind date.
"No, thanks. I'm good. I'll just have fun with Naomi." I smiled, looking down at my soda.
Roxy felt bad, I could tell, but we're each other bestest friends. We know we'll both be OK.
"Sure. So, Christoph is picking us up at five, then we're straight to Rudy's bar. Bonnie said Archie is giving her a ride." Roxy smiled, checking the time.
"Great. Are they still...?" I raised an eyebrow at Roxy, hoping the answer was yes.
"Still helplessly in love with each other, but too shy to say anything? Yes." Roxy smiled, as it really was obvious.
"Hook. 'Em. Up." I smiled, popping the P.

Archie is as old friend. Him and Bonnie have always had a thing going, but it never went further then a free ride. This Valentine's day, that was changing!