Part 7 : Man and Wife

The priest chanted holy mantras as they stood up for the Saptapadi

The priest chanted holy mantras as they stood up for the Saptapadi. The end of Meera's dupatta tied with Rayaan's shawl.

For the first four vows, Rayaan leads the way, promising to provide for Meera's physical, emotional, and material needs, pledging unwavering loyalty to her, committing to a righteous and virtuous life, and expressing his desire to be her constant companion through life's joys and challenges. In return, he asks for her unwavering presence. Meera, in the remaining three vows, promises to always stand by Rayaan's side, fulfilling his heart and their home with boundless love. Meera promises to create a loving environment in their home, embracing love wholeheartedly. She vows to bring joy and contentment to their relationship, ensuring a fulfilling and happy life together.

Furthermore, they both pledge lifelong loyalty, unwavering support, and boundless love, promising to stand by each other's side through all the challenges and triumphs they may face.

Their family and friends kept showering rose petals on them as they took seven rounds around the holy fire.

The priest then asked Rayaan to fill the vermillion in Meera's hairline and tie the Sacred beaded pendant called mangal sutra around her neck.

Rayaan looked at Meera who gazed back at him. Her face resembled a curious child who wanted to know what was happening around her and why it was happening. He proceeded to do what the priest asked him to.

When his hands encircled her neck to tie the mangal sutra, both of them could feel goosebumps erupting on their body.

The first time they were being this close. After the Call, they didn't meet nor they talked. Though their parents asked them to meet before the rituals, they avoided it. Rayaan didn't want to have the repeat telecast of their so-called cafe date. And as for Meera she never showed any interest in meeting him nor took any effort to talk to him.

Somehow, Rayaan was fine with it. As he had no clue how romantic dates were supposed to be held. He was glad she didn't force him or continuously nagged him for giving her attention.

But today, when she walked towards him in crimson red Lehenga, she sure demanded attention, not just his but everybody's present in the Hall. She looked ethereal, her eyes looking at the ground, her henna-clad hand that had bridal bangles almost till her elbow, the sound of her anklets as she walked towards him, everything about her was screaming grace. With every step she took towards him holding her lehenga in her small fists, it raised the speed of his heartbeats.

He had never seen such a gorgeous bride. He stretched out his hand to help her up on the stage. And that's when she lifted her gaze to him.

Oh! His heart left his soul when she kept her small shivering palm in his making eye contact with him.
And he just wanted the time to stop then and there.

He is the same person who didn't want this marriage initially.

Clutching her palm firmly, he pulled her up to stand beside him. He felt the loss of warmth when her hand slipped away from his grip.

The unusual feelings were not settling well with him. He didn't know how to control such weird feelings. He wanted to steal glances at her but he couldn't. He took a deep breath to calm himself down.

In less than a minute, their parents and all their cousins surrounded them. And a session of giggling and teasing started again leaving them embarrassed.

Both of them were handed rose garlands. The bride was supposed to put the garland on the groom's neck first.

Aryan screamed for Shubham to lift Rayaan so that he was out of reach for Meera. But his one glare was enough to tell each of them to stay fifty square feet away from him. He didn't want to participate in any unnecessary drama.

He looked at Meera who appeared nervous, Rayaan took a step forward toward her. When Meera lifted the Garland, his head automatically bowed down before her.

A series of shocked gasps and whistles followed as nobody expected such an act from Rayaan.

For the first time, Rayaan didn't care about the teasings he was too lost in her eyes, widened from shock.

He tried to put the garland on her neck when her cousins pulled her back giggling. A shy smile appeared on his lips. He took a step towards Meera when they pulled her back again.

And before they could do it for the third time, Rayaan put the garland on her neck quickly making everybody present laugh at his behavior. He rubbed the back of his neck being conscious about people watching them. But it was too late. Now he had successfully managed to gain the attention and teasing of his cousins and family.

Much to his relief, they were called for Saptapadi after a few minutes.

"Vivah sampan hua. Aaj se aap dono pati patni kehlayenge"

[The wedding is complete. From now on, You are Man and Wife]

The Hall echoed with loud claps as the priest pronounced them husband and wife. They stood up to take the blessing of their elders.

Everyone seemed happy for the couple as they gave them their blessings wholeheartedly.

Soon, they sat down to enjoy a satisfying meal. Their parents felt a sense of ease and fulfillment as they witnessed their children officially married, their dreams and responsibilities fulfilled.

Leaving the place where you grew up, celebrating all your achievements, made precious memories is never easy. But sometimes you have to leave everything to start a new chapter of your life. Today, was such a day for Meera. To start her new journey as a wife she had to leave her family and house where she was a daughter.

Meera's mother was happy for her daughter as she was going to start her own family now but couldn't hold back the tears streaming down her face. She was not just her daughter but also her best friend with whom she shared so much about her life. She doubted if she was ever a good mother to Meera, she wanted to go back in the past and keep her daughter just to herself. Her daughter was very precious to her. She believed she was alive just because of her. Just for her.

In a tight embrace, both mother and daughter shed tears, unwilling to let go of each other. Everything was playing in front of Mihika's eyes when Meera was born, How she lit up her world. then she grew up and started going to school, her coming home with a beaming smile, her not-so-secret planning for Mihika's birthday. Everything. Meera was her cutest daughter. The perfect daughter one could ever ask for. The lump in Mihika's throat stifled her words, and with longing eyes, she gently kissed Meera's forehead.

Meera received a heartfelt embrace from her father, who blessed her with a heavy heart and tears streaming down his cheeks. Together, they walked Meera to the waiting car, surrounded by a somber atmosphere and tearful eyes. The pain of parting was evident, but daughters had to leave one family to embrace another. It was the bitter truth they had to face.

Mihika and Dilip helped Meera settle inside the car. As they prepared to fold their hands in front of Rayaan's family, Rayaan intervened, understanding their unspoken sentiments

"She is our responsibility. We will always love and cherish her. Please don't worry" Rasika comforted Mihika taking her into a lovable hug and Eshwer patted Dilip's shoulder in a comforting manner.

Rayaan humbly bent down to touch his in-laws' feet, seeking their blessings. Overwhelmed, they caressed his face "Stay blessed!".

"Don't Worry! Your Princess is my Queen now." With a soft smile, he too sat in the car leaving her parents in relief.

With final goodbyes exchanged, the families bid farewell as Rayaan's family set off toward their mansion, marking the beginning of a new chapter.