Part 24: Not Working

Her heartbeat raced like the rapid beat of a hummingbird's wings with every step he took

Her heartbeat raced like the rapid beat of a hummingbird's wings with every step he took. She clutched her phone in one hand while wiping the other with her clothes repeatedly. She appeared anxious, Her placed face had a frightening expression. Her lips parted as he drew closer, her breath catching in her throat.

"What happened? Are you fine?" His voice was laced with concern.

With a shaky exhale, she released the pent-up breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

He didn't hear anything.

She found herself sighing in relief, the knot in her chest easing its grip, but her heart still raced. The possibility of him overhearing her conversation had felt like a sword hanging by a thread above her.

His brows knitted, his eyes narrowing with curiosity. Her sudden change in demeanor hadn't escaped his keen observation. He stepped closer"Is there any problem?" he inquired as he entered their room, his tone a mix of genuine concern and confusion. He didn't see her talking to anyone this long and that made him worried about what caused her to stick to the call for so long.

She mumbled "My friend, Vidushi, She was just missing me and her family. Everything is good. " before slipping into the sheets and cocooning herself.

Rayaan's brow furrowed as he contemplated her perplexing behavior. He had come to learn that sudden shifts in her demeanor were as frequent as gusts of wind but he still wondered what went wrong. Well, he always wonders and that makes him believe the phrase that women are hard to understand. 

But today, there was something that he understood clearly, She doesn't share some great thoughts about men. He went to check up on her when he heard some of her colorful words about men. And her reaction afterward was even more confusing. 

He could vividly understand her resistance to sharing her views with him. Her resistance to his comforting words or anything related to him. 

He remembered the day after their engagement when his father summoned him to his study room. To his surprise, he was not sitting with his files as usually he did, He just sat there with a thick album turning pages with a small smile on his face. He appeared to be lost in nostalgia, Rudra walked to him with his ear perked up. He was ready for all his father had to say. It seemed like it was going to be a long conversation.

His dad kept the album gently on the table, before removing his spectacles gracefully, "How are you feeling, Son?" He asked patting the empty chair beside him. 

"I don't know" He whispered sitting on the empty chair.

His father's laughter filled the room, mixed with love and understanding. "I hope it's in a good way." 

He didn't want to marry but he was engaged to the girl, he called a child. He scolded her a day before but he felt butterflies when he saw her in the engagement ceremony. He felt a mix of emotions surge through him but what exactly he was feeling he didn't know. 

"Rayaan, This is your last chance. If you have someone else in your heart or you don't want to marry Meera. Just back off right now. Don't spoil both of your life" His voice changed from playful to serious. 

"Yes Dad" Rayaan nodded at the piece of wisdom. He realized if he really didn't want to marry. He could tell his dad. He will take his Mom's side to him as well. And suddenly all his stupid tricks to get away from the marriage started to seem stupider. 

He had to take the final call and he decided he will frame the decision after talking to Meera once. After all, he was not alone involved in this wedding. 

"What were you looking at before I came?" Rayaan tried to divert the topic as already understood why was he called. 

"See! This is the picture when you were in the second standard. You complained you didn't have a sibling. So to pacify you, Your mother and I dressed like kids to be your sibling for a day" he said with a distant memory. 

Rayaan held his old slightly wrinkled hand in his and said those sweet words to him "You both are still my siblings " That was the truth. They made such a beautiful environment at home that he never felt like he didn't have a sibling.

"We had a miscarriage after you, And Your mother couldn't conceive after that. We were regretful to not give you a sibling but you know, you never complained when you grew up. You always did everything to make us proud. We're so grateful we have a son like you." Both of them were overwhelmed as the words rolled out of Eshwer's mouth.

"I am grateful to be your son, Dad" He got up to hug his dad. As they shared the moment of warm embrace a distant voice fell on their ear, "Aww!"

And then they could hear the pleasant sound of running anklets as a soft fragrance embraced them. Guess who was the most loved? Rasika Of course!

They settled for a discussion over a cup of tea. The Constant hustle and bustle of guests was not letting them have their moment. His parents were searching for a time like this and they finally got one. They wanted to prepare their son before he took the crucial step toward the new beginning of his life.

"Rayaan, Marriage is a big responsibility, You will need a lot of patience to adjust to the new setting" His mom said keeping the teacup down, "Meera will leave her home, and her family for you. She will come to your home as your companion the moment you will marry her so it's your responsibility you will do every possible thing to make her feel it's her home. You must deal with patience and give her time to get comfortable with you, my son" She looked at Eshwer momentarily, giving him the charming smile he could die for, and then looked at Rayaan again before continuing, "I want you to become just like your father, a sweet, kind and lovable husband "

Eshwer held her hand, "Rayaan, Close your eyes" The moment he did, Esher planted a soft kiss on her knuckles. Rayaan giggled knowing well what was happening before his closed eyes, "Are you two done?" he opened one eye to peek at them. Rasika cleared her throat, trying to control the exaggerated smile on her face. "I...I was saying be a cute and supportive couple. Don't trouble each other. You have to bend your ways sometimes and sometimes she will do the same for you. But find common ground and stay happy" She ruffled his hair and the Eshwer immediately threw him out of the study. Well, They were down with the conversation.

Rayaan scoffed at his father's annoying behavior but his heart was at peace to seeing them smiling and loving each other. Even after so many years of marriage, their love is untainted, The spark has not been lost. He wished to have a relationship like that.  But before that, he had to converse with Meera to know her opinion. 

And that was when he contacted Meera apologizing for his previous behaviour.

Meera turned to him, keeping her palm on his bicep but this time a smile didn't cross his face like before.

Her previous words rang in his mind. 

He was trying to be patient with her, He was putting effort for her but was it even working?

Was he trying to float a metal boat? 

Or Was it too early to expect something from her? She needed more time, right? 

Did she really marry him by her choice?