Part 11: Scared?

He let her hand slip away from his warm grip as they reached the breakfast table

He let her hand slip away from his warm grip as they reached the breakfast table. Rasika and a few elderly relatives were up and chatting. As it was late at night, a few close relatives were staying at their home, but they would leave in the evening.

Except for Rayaan and Meera, none of the younger ones were awake. Rayaan noticed Meera closely following him, her gaze downcast, and her fingers fidgeting with her saree pallu. She seemed to seek protection from all the unknown gazes around.

"Relax, I am here," He said in a gentle tone, trying to reassure her.

"Meera!" Rasika exclaimed as soon as she spotted her, rushing to embrace her in a hug. "Did you sleep well?"

Perplexed, Meera nodded, wishing her a "Good Morning!"

"You seem tired. I know it was quite late at night. Complete some rituals and then take a rest, okay? Both of you," Rasika patted their heads and took Meera to introduce her to the relatives.

An elderly woman made Meera sit beside her who turned out to be Rasika's mother.

Most of the relatives were from the maternal side, as the paternal side was no longer in contact.

Meera became the center of attention, and everyone talked to her and about her, making her feel uncomfortable and awkward.

The only time she lifted her gaze, her eyes met her husband's, who gave her a reassuring smile, easing her nerves a bit.

Soon enough, it was breakfast time, and Meera stood before the kitchen counter to prepare a sweet dish. The breakfast was already prepared by the house help, and she only needed to complete her post-marriage ritual of Pehli Rasoi.

She looked at the ingredients laid out before her and started following the procedure she knew, hoping the dish would turn out to be good.

"Need any help?" Rayaan's voice startled her. His mother and the house helper also offered assistance, but she politely declined. Cooking halwa wasn't a big deal for her; the real worry was so many people - what if it didn't turn out well?

He stood there for a minute or more, in case she needed help. But when he was sure she could manage, he left the kitchen, giving her some space.

Meera heaved a sigh of relief. His proximity was giving her a dizzy feeling.

Her hands shivered as she transferred the halwa into a bowl. There were so many people, and their gazes were making her conscious. Before Rayaan could get up from his chair to help her, Rasika was already there. Rasika had experienced it all and knew how overwhelming it could be to perform tasks under such scrutiny. She helped Meera out and made her sit between her and Rayaan, asking her to eat

Offering her a grateful smile, Meera started eating her breakfast, though she had no appetite, she did it for the sake of the family sitting with her.

"I will stay here! Bhabhi makes such good food, I don't want to go back home" Aryan mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear.

They smiled, agreeing that the halwa was nice, bringing a small smile to Meera's face. Aryan's antics had a way of brightening up the atmosphere. She liked his personality, he was fun and comfortable to be around. Aryan's Mother twisted his ear, "So I don't make good food huh? No need to come home since you are deprived of good food for the last 18 years".

"Oh my sweet mother, I was just kidding. The food you make is extraordinary " Aryan snuggled into his mother, wiping his mouth with her dupatta. His mother had to push him away looking at his behavior.

After breakfast, they all retired to their rooms as none of them had gotten proper sleep due to the wedding.

Once inside the room, Meera heaved a sigh of relief. "You're not very comfortable around people, I guess," Rayaan's voice startled her. He stood right behind her after locking the door.

She fidgeted with her fingers, her body language resembling a deer caught in the light. "N...No, I like your family," she stammered, clutching and unclutching the side of her saree.

Rayaan frowned at her. He never said anything about liking his family. Did he? She must have misunderstood him.

"I am glad. But you don't have to like everybody; some of them are not at all likable. Anyway, I wanted to say even I am not comfortable around many people," he explained. His words seemed to have an effect on her as she let go of her saree, and a soft "Oh!" escaped her lips. He couldn't help but wonder about her scared nature. She was definitely not like this when they met for the first time.

What happened to her suddenly?

"Take some rest," he murmured while walking towards the washroom. As if on cue, Meera quickly lay on the bed on the side she slept the previous night. In less than two minutes, she dozed off. Rayaan was equally surprised, looking at his wife sleeping in her heavy attire again. He wondered how the uncomfortable clothing didn't bother her.

He also laid down beside her, tiredness getting the best of him as he slept with his mouth open, without a care in the world.