Part 22: Aryan's Misunderstanding

The ground beneath his foot seemed to evaporate as Aryam's words echoed in Rayaan's ears

The ground beneath his foot seemed to evaporate as Aryam's words echoed in Rayaan's ears. Disbelief flooded his mind as he looked around the decorated room, his heart leaping into his throat at the sight of the banner hanging above that read "Congratulations Mr and Mrs. Rayaan Oberoi." He wished that it was all a dream.

"I thought you guys are a new couple and will take time but Rayaan, You are something else" He heard his Dad chuckle and Mom join in.

He wanted to scream that he didn't even touch her.

Oblivious to his thoughts, Aryan danced around him squealing "Bhai, You are great I mean so desperate but I am really happy. I am getting a nephew or niece "

"I'm over the moon for you, dear. I told you Meera is a very sweet girl. Congratulations to-be-father" His Mother squeezed his cheeks, her voice drenched in affection still adoring the fact that her son was going to have a child very soon.

Rayaan kept quiet noticing everyone but the subject of the whole fiasco was nowhere to be seen."Mom... Where is M...Meera?" He pushed the words out of his throat as his eyes scanned around the house.

"Bhabhi is resting, Don't trouble okay? I am here to protect her against all evils" Aryan held out his invisible sword poised at Rayaan's neck keeping him under his steal gaze. Rayaan shoved Aryan aside, hurriedly taking his steps toward their room.

His family laughed at his desperation to meet his wife whereas his mind was filled with numerous questions.

If he studied biology correctly then there was only one way Meera was carrying a child and as far as he knew they haven't even initiated the basic step let alone the main work.

As he went inside the room, Meera passed him a weak smile, emerging from the washroom Rayaan didn't smile back for the very first time instead his gaze traveled down to her belly.

How could she be pregnant?

Meera did find his behavior unusual but she let it slide. She quietly sat on the bed gently holding her book.

"Meera?" Rayaan moved closer, his voice hesitant. Startled, Meera looked up, brows furrowing in curiosity. "Yes?" she replied.

Taking a deep breath, Rayaan met her gaze and asked, "Is this true?"

Meera's confusion deepened. Totally clueless, She asked "What?"

"Everything that is happening downstairs"

She has been in the room since afternoon, Meera furrowed her brow even more. "What's happening downstairs?"

Frustration bubbled within Rayaan. He drew a deep breath. "The celebration."

"For what?"

"Because you are p..pregnant" He stated looking everywhere but her. He couldn't decide what to feel about the situation. Should he be happy about the fact that his wife was pregnant, confused about the fact that he don't know how, or sad about the fact that there was one possible explanation if she was really pregnant.