Part 14: Delights

RAYAAN

RAYAAN

We greeted my parents who were discussing over a cup of tea. It's their daily ritual, their special time, embraced by the soft cool breeze that danced through the open windows.

My parents always cooked a meal together before heading off to their respective work. Their love for each other seemed to grow with time, filling both my heart and the house with warmth. As a child, I used to whine for their attention when I woke up early and found them cuddled up. But as I grew older, I realized the significance of those moments, their dedicated time for each other. So, I let them have their time. Even if I would wake up early. I would just pretend to sleep, allowing them to cherish their peaceful togetherness.

Because after work, they come home tired and not had time for conversations. They gave their night time to me and we three would sleep cuddling.

"Good morning, kids," they chimed in unison, their smiles radiant. We took our seats across from them, eager to catch up on their lively conversation

After a while, amid the discussion, Dad's stomach growled loudly. "I'm hungry now," He blurted out.

"Me too," Mom sighed dramatically, rubbing her belly.

I expected them to head to the kitchen to prepare breakfast as usual, but instead, they sat there with their eyes fixed on us.

Wait! Were they thinking the same as me?

"What shall I make? " Meera asked smiling nervously at them.

Mom chuckled before responding, "Not only you but you both my dear. Prepare whatever you like. We oldies are fine with anything" Dad nodded in agreement, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

Nodding, Meera moved towards the kitchen, "Go now, what are you waiting for? We are passing our responsibility to you both now. All the best! " Dad wiggled his eyebrow wrapping his arm around Mom's shoulder and kissing her forehead.

I couldn't speak a word as something hot crawled up my neck to my ears and quietly followed behind Meera.

Keeping one hand on her waist and another under her chin, she was scanning the shelves for the necessary ingredients. "What are you making? " I asked making her jump on her place.

She gets scared very easily, "I am sorry! I didn't mean to scare you ", I said trying to make her feel at ease.

"It's okay. I was just startled. Umm... I was thinking what should I make. What do you want me to make? " She inquired pulling the stray strand behind her ear. Her hand slowly dropped down to the level of her left hand as she fiddled with her fingers nervously.

I am really comfortable with food. I don't usually have a choice in food so I asked her in return "What do you like? "

"Everything" Came her reply and I scratched my head. What to make?

"How about paneer?" I suggested, moving toward the cabinet to gather the ingredients.

She glanced at me, her unspoken question hanging in the air. "I know how to cook", I cleared her confusion and she averted her gaze away embarrassed.

Meera seemed to be in a good mood today. I had woken up to the sound of her bangles jingling as she got ready. Pretending to sleep, I saw her getting ready. It was mesmerizing to watch her dress up so gracefully, giggling and twirling around. Seeing her like that filled me with warmth, and I realized I wanted her to be that carefree and happy around me too. I wanted her to laugh and twirl, but she was still apprehensive around me. I knew I was to blame for that. If only I had started our relationship with more patience.

But now, I had the time to correct my mistakes. I will make sure she is always comfortable around me.

I was too automatically in a good mood looking at her happy face and when she was done I decide to stop pretending.

Feeling lighthearted, I couldn't resist teasing her a little when I noticed the cologne. I found it amusing how much she loved perfumes-something I had never seen anyone else so fond of.

As I mimicked her actions, she puffed her cheek and averted her gaze. She looked adorable, like a child caught in the act. Not only does she look like a child but also behaves like one. I chuckled, remembering how she had run away from me as if her back was on fire

"What happened?" she asked, pulling me back to the present. She had already diced the paneer and was slicing the vegetables.

I shook my head, still amused by the memory. "Just remembered something." Grabbing a plate, I started to prepare the rice.

She didn't seem convinced, but she let it go.

We cooked the meal in comfortable silence, only speaking when we needed to pass each other something. It didn't feel awkward like it had in the past. The silence felt natural, and I hoped it was the same for her.

Finally, we were done. Meera garnished the dish with fresh coriander leaves, and the sweet aroma filled the air, tantalizing our senses.

The meals cooked by my parents always delighted me, filled with their love and care. As we sat down at the table, they joined us, ready to savor the food.

"It's good," Dad declared, his eyes glimmering with approval. Mom, too busy eating, nodded in agreement. "It tastes amazing," she added between bites.

Satisfied with their reactions, we began enjoying our meal as well.

"Why don't you two go out today?" Mom suggested, her gaze shifting between us.

We could go out, but I had already planned to take Meera to visit her parents.

"Actually, I was thinking of visiting Meera's parents today," I announced, causing Meera to snap her head toward me, her eyes widening in surprise.

I hadn't mentioned it to her earlier, so her reaction was completely justified. "That's a good idea. Do inform me before leaving I have some gifts that need to be delivered there," she replied, smiling at us.

"And here, this gift is for you." Dad pulled out a small blue box from his pocket and handed it to Meera, who suddenly became nervous and awkward again. "T... There was no need for it," she stammered, caught off guard.

Meera looked at me for reassurance, and I nodded, urging her to accept the gift. She took it with trembling hands, her voice barely audible as she whispered, "Thank you!"

With the atmosphere lightened by their appreciation of the meal and the exchange of gifts, we resumed eating peacefully. After finishing, I told Meera to get ready while I waited for her on the couch.

Mom busied herself gathering the gifts for Meera's parents.

As we prepared to leave, I couldn't help but wonder if we would have some free time during our visit perhaps we could go out and dine together. I hope this time I don't ruin it.