SAM

Rodriguez came back late that night. He sat in the swivel chair at his desk. He looked deep in thought. Something was wrong. I just knew it.

               "Okay, what's wrong?" I asked him finally. He swung toward me and stared at me, then sighed.

               "I just saw Ruth at the coffee shop."

               "Really? Did she recognize you?" I asked.

               "No, but when she did, she kept exposing my identity."

               "What? But she doesn't even work for the RIA anymore," I said.

               "I know, and I want her silenced,"

               "Rodriguez!" I gasped. "You've never been thirsty for blood!"

               "Not killing her, just... kidnapping her. If only we had something to cause her to forget that I was even a spy."

               "We could brainwash her," I suggested.

               "No... I don't want to do anything against her will," he said thoughtfully.

               "How kind of you," I remarked. "I know this sounds childish, but you could always go up to her and just tell her to sign the Official Secrets Act or–"

               "Or else she'll be silenced?" Rodriguez looked up at me.

               "Yeah–I mean, no, Rodriguez!" I sighed. "Just don't go to that coffee shop anymore."

               "Okay," he agreed. "Also, I have a clue."

               "What?" I inquired.

               "I don't know, and it's probably stupid..."

               "Just tell me. It might be something worth considering," I tilted my head.

               "I don't know... No..." he laughed at himself.

               "Rodriguez!" I shouted. "Now you have to tell me," I said eagerly.

               "Fine, fine..." he waved his hands in the air. "I don't think Daniel is dead."