RUTH

He answered it.

               "Sam, what's up? I hope no one died while I'm still here," he laughed, then became very serious. "Are you...serious?" He dropped his phone and fainted. He was only a few feet away from my cell. He didn't have the keys, but he did have a lock pick. I got down on my hands and knees and grabbed Tod's phone through the cell bars.

               "Samantha?"

               "Hello? Is this Ruth?" she asked.

               "Yes, what happened?" I asked.

               "Why do you ask? You wouldn't care, you're in jail!" she retorted.

               "I'm just curious. Besides, Tod fainted when you told him," I told her. She sighed.

               "Fine," she gave in, "Rodriguez has been assassinated." She started to cry. I gasped.

               "Oh my god, what?!" I reached through the bars again, dragged Tod's unconscious body closer to me, and took the lock pick from his utility belt. "By who?!" I asked as I unlocked the cell.

               "The RIA," she sobbed more. I took Tod's gun and tucked it away in my pocket.

               "I'm on my way. You're at home?" I asked.

               "Yeah, but aren't you in jail?" she retorted.

               "No, who gave you that idea?" There was a pause.

               "Rodriguez..." she cried more. I saw three police officers in the front office and took my gun out.

               "Just calm down. I have to go now, bye," I said quietly and hung up. I aimed my gun at one of the officers and pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. The safety was off, too. It wasn't loaded. I thought of Tod.

               "That idiot," I whispered. I decided to rush the officers and knock them unconscious. It would be so fast that they wouldn't know what happened.

               After that job was done, I took a more suitable gun and walked out of there as if nothing happened. Thankfully, I wasn't in jail for long, so I hadn't been wearing jail clothes yet. Now, I had two objectives: one, find out what happened to Rodriguez, and two, find Daniel.