SERGEI

I had never felt sorry for anyone. Especially children. Kids are just little brats who try to make themselves superior by acting heroically. The only kids I'd tolerate are children who obey me and stay out of my way, like Adrian, the small white-dyed-haired kid who was sitting next to me on the plane.

               "Hey, Adrian," I called to him in Russian, "A word of advice since this is your first mission. Don't say a word from this point on. If the Special Investigations Unit finds out you're Russian, they'll take you in for questioning. However, be prepared to die if I'm caught or threatened." Adrian only spoke Russian. I didn't know why I had told him not to say anything because he had never said a word to anyone ever since his parents died, and that was two years ago. Adrian was eleven, but I didn't feel sorry for anyone.

               Adrian had trusted anything the RIA had told him, starting two years ago, when he went inside Alexander's office. When he went in, he resisted, but as soon as he came out of Alexander's office, he was calm, as if he was given a sedative. Since then, he was like a robot, obeying anything the RIA told him. The plan worked out so well that it was almost scary.

               I had put a detonator on Adrian just in case I had to hold him hostage. He was my insurance.

               "But don't be scared, Adrian," I assured him, "I'll do my best to protect you from having to detonate the bomb. Understood?" He didn't say anything. I ruffled up his hair.

               "You never say anything," I told him, "At least nod." He nodded.

               "Izvinite," he whispered. "Sorry" in Russian. That's the only thing he had ever said after his parents died. That word made me cringe.

               "Please take your seats and fasten your safety belts; we are beginning our descent," said the pilot on the loudspeaker.

               "Remember what I told you," I said to Adrian, "We're in America."

               I showed him some limited pictures of some of the SIU agents. I showed him pictures of Samantha Addison, Kevin Barkley, LeBron Moralés, Jake Brian, and Levi Ellis.

               "If you see these people, treat them kindly. But if they try to take you away or ruin my plans, terminate them," Then, I showed him some pictures of Tod and Rodriguez. "But if you see these people, kill them when no one's watching," I showed the picture of LeBron again. "Don't kill anyone around him. Try to always be on his good side. If he sees you do anything suspicious, he won't hesitate the slightest to interrogate you. Don't kill him if he gets in your way, either. He's far too strong for you to handle," I looked at LeBron's picture and chuckled. "This one's mine, and I'm sure he thinks the same as me."

               I ran my hand over the scar that trailed through my eye, down my cheek, and stopped right at the corner of my grin.