SAM

I waited until the Russians above left.

               "So Tod is a double agent!" I roared.

               "Shush!" Rodriguez commanded. "No, he's not. The word 'secure' could mean anything, mostly that they're trying to catch him, not inform him. Besides, Daniel was the one who said that. He could be throwing us off." I winced because of a sharp pain in my stomach. I've been having contractions lately, and I think they're getting worse.

               "You okay?" Rodriguez asked. I nodded but then got back to the subject.

               "Like I said last night, I think you're completely out of your mind when you say Daniel is still alive. I shot him in the chest," I reminded him.

               "I know it sounds crazy, but you must believe me," he urged.

               "But Rodriguez," I repeated, "I shot him."

               "But honey," he smiled sarcastically, "Not everyone who gets shot dies."

               "Really?" I returned his contemptuous smile. "I never knew."

               "Don't get smart," he rolled his eyes.

               "I just assumed he was dead because he wasn't moving, and he had blood all over him!" I told him.

               "I thought he was dead, too, but he must've been unconscious or in a coma because it was so real he couldn't have faked it."

               "And who was he talking to? That is if it was Daniel,"

               "Well, we know it wasn't Tod because Daniel," Rodriguez rolled his eyes at me. "Was talking about Tod, and I don't think it's Ruth because she doesn't work for the RIA anymore." he put his hand on his chin in thought.

               "How do you know?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

               "Because she told me," he said, thinking of another reason. "A-and she works at a coffee shop now."

               "You're going to believe what she told you?! I just told you that Tod was a double agent, and you didn't believe me!"

               "That's because Tod's not a double agent," he said with a reason. That bothered me.

               "How do you know?" I asked him again.

               "Because Benjamin told me."

               I couldn't believe it.

               "Uh-huh, and who told Benjamin?" I asked him.

               "Tod."

               "So basically, you're asking the suspect if he's a double agent, and if he says no, you immediately believe him," I confirmed.

               "He had a valid excuse!" he reasoned.

               "Oh, yeah? And what reason was that?" I asked sternly.

               "Look, I don't know what the reason was, but Benjamin told me that Tod had a valid reason not to be a double agent," he said.

               "Yeah, and how do we know Benjamin's not a double agent?" He looked at me as if I were crazy.

               "Why are you so against Tod?! What did he ever do to you?!"

               "He's just been acting very suspicious and secretive lately," I told him.

               "Maybe because someone threatened him, or he knows someone could be watching him," he looked at me.

               "Like who?"

               "Like you," he pointed at me. "Ever since you suspected him of being a double agent, he probably feels like you're threatening him by watching him, so he doesn't know how to react," he explained. That does it.

               "Oh me?! Do you think I'm threatening him? I'm only trying to be cautious for the environment and our nation!"

               "And I'm glad you are, but use this enthusiasm for other criminals we know are against us, for example, Vladimir..." Rodriguez muttered, "And I swear that when I see him again, I'm going to get my Glock and blow a hole in his chest," he raised his voice, "Speaking of which, I haven't seen him ever since he went to jail–"

               "Back to Tod," I redirected, "Where do you have proof that he's not a double agent?"

               "Where do you have proof that he is?!" he asked in return.

               "Because he's suspicious!" I said, knowing that there were no other valid reasons besides my opinion.

               "That is not proof. Tod is not a double agent," he confirmed. At that moment, I saw someone standing behind him.

               "Speak of the devil," I said, "Tod is standing right behind you."