Ch. 3

"Catherine! Jake! Time to wake up!" Our mom yelled while knocking on our door.

GREAT. Today is the day. It's the day where I leave almost everything I love behind and move to the other side of the country and it didn't help that I still felt a bit groggy from all the partying I did the past weekend.

My brother and I got up from bed and went downstairs to eat breakfast.

"Where's dad?" My brother asked.

"Oh, he's at work. He needed to finish up a few things before we leave for New York. He'll meet us at the airport." Replied our mother. "You kids excited?" She asked with a big smile on her face.

Jake and I looked at each other knowing exactly what the other was thinking. No, we were not excited at all. But we put on our best fake smile we could possibly give.

"Of course mom! A new state means a new beginning! Cannot wait to live in the east coast." I lied.

We finished up our breakfast and got ready for the plane ride. We packed up the little stuff we had left in our empty house. Then I heard the doorbell ring. I walked over to the front door and opened it. Standing there smiling with a case of beer was Annie, Alyssa, Will and Charlie.

I could feel my eyes starting to tear up. "It's Monday morning shouldn't you guys be at school?"

"You honestly think we're going to go to class today instead of spending time with you and Jake on your last day here?" Charlie said.

I let them in and called Jake over to get out of our room. He quickly ran downstairs when I told them our friends were here. We chilled in our backyard while our mother got the rest of our stuff ready. We laid in the grass drinking beers and smoking joints.

"So this is it, huh?" Whispered Alyssa. "You guys are actually leaving..."

"Yeah... I guess so." I replied.

We didn't talk much we just laid in silence enjoying each other's company. We laid there until my mom told Jake and me it was time to go. Alyssa and Annie started to cry which made me cry a bit. We said our last goodbyes and hugged each other so tight I thought I broke a few ribs.

My brother, mom and I got into the cab and the cab driver drove off to the airport. As the cab was moving my brother and I turned around to look at our friends one last time and there they were just standing there waving at us.

----

We landed in New York City and my family and I were already in a cab heading towards our new town house. Man, was it cold out here. I know it's November but it never got this cold in California. In fact, it was always sunny and warm on the west coast even during the fall and winter seasons. But this?! This is awful. I hated the cold I am not used to it. Didn't like how gray the sky is either. Damn, I'm probably going to have to buy new clothes. There's nothing I own that would keep me even a little warm. During the drive I looked out the window studying my surroundings. It's completely different from California. The city looks dirty, the streets and sidewalks are packed and all the buildings are so close together. I don't like it. There's not a beach in sight or even green grass for that matter. Fuck, I miss California already and we've only been here for 20 minutes.