THE SMILE ON YOUR FACE

"Me? Gifts? Why so sudden?" You raised an eyebrow out of curiosity and asked.

"In Briar Valley, there is a myth, about the blessings of three fairies." Malleus explained. "It mentions that a long time ago, a princess received three blessings from three fairies, and they brought her happily ever after." It was why the number "3" was kind of a lucky number in his homeland.

"You're upset lately, and I wish to bring your happiness back." He said, which a gentle smile.

Hearing Tsunotarou's words, a smile beam appeared on your face. How could someone still be so kind when he was literally holding great power in his hands?

"Well, it seems that you have had everything prepared, it'd be rude if I refused to receive them, wouldn't it?" You said, "As they say, obedience is better than politeness. I'll thank you first, Tsunotarou."

Enthusiasm was all written on Malleus' face. He had been waiting to show you his presents. "Wonderful. Now, let me present you my first 'blessing'."

-

"The first thing you have to do, Waka-sama, is give her a doll." Sebek suggested in the afternoon.

"Doll...? Why should I?" Malleus was confused and questioned.

Sebek explained that he had heard from his sister and her friends that girls like dolls. "My brother and I once gave her a crocodile doll on her birthday, and she loved it so much." He added.

Malleus nodded as if he had understood something, but another question popped up in his mind, "But what kind of doll should I choose for Child of Man?"

Sebek thought for a second, "You can choose the one you like, Waka-sama. I'm sure your taste will suit her the most."

"Choosing what I like..." Malleus fell into deep thought, and all of a sudden, an idea came to his mind.

-

Malleus snapped his fingers, and the next second, a rock-made statue appeared in front of you. It was grey. It had a pair of wings and pointed ears.

"Wow, Tsunotarou." You were a bit startled by its sudden appearance. "A grotesque."

You could notice the proud and pleased smile on Malleus's face. "I'll have to correct you, Y/n. It is a gargoyle, but not just a grotesque." He explained that the difference lay in their functions. Grotesques were only for decorations, while gargoyles were waterspouts that carried rainwater away from the roof to prevent buildings from damage. "Gargoyles are much more useful than grotesques." He added, "But Silver always mixes them up either."

You stood in from of the gargoyle and looked at it. It was even taller than you. You had seen them in books about the Catholic churches in Paris back then, but you had never seen a real one.

"Sebek told me that you might be interested in dolls." Malleus voiced, "He said I should choose one that I like, and I thought, there are so many similarities between dolls and gargoyles. They're both delicately made. They both look fascinating. Just one being plushy while one being tough. This one is one of my collections which I brought here from Briar Valley."

Your eyes were still on the gargoyle, slightly knitting your brows, not knowing how to respond.

Seeing the expression on your face, Malleus started to worry that you didn't like his gift, which he had never expected. Who wouldn't like gargoyles when they're so aesthetic and multifunctional?

Is it its look that scares you? Or you don't like its wings? That's not so different from a doll, if not better, isn't it? Malleus could feel his palms become a little bit sweaty when the thought that you didn't like his present came to his mind. You seemed to be interested in gargoyles either when Malleus brought you on a gargoyle tour in the school.