Chp 11

Isaias and Marco were huddled together against the masses. There were hundreds of Guerreros everywhere! The noise level was astounding. They were the only trainees there and that made them even more uncomfortable as people turned to glare at them. Beside him, Marco had gone stock still. He knew that his partner hated to be touched but in this case, it couldn't be avoided.

The best thing would be to lean against the cerulean wall at the back and hope no one stepped on them. He grabbed Marco by the shoulders and steered him against the walls of the packed room making sure to take the brunt of the masses since his partner couldn't handle such. After elbowing some Guerreros out of the way, Isaias led Marco toward the back. The room was a large, circular, ballroom.

It had a small fountain with ornamental horses kicking up while their riders let out water from ornamental jugs. It too was made of glass and went well with the large chandelier in the center of the ceiling. This room was made to impress so why were a thousand Guerreros in battle gear assembled here?

Likely there was nowhere bigger to host us as a group.

Isaias turned to Marco who had gained some of his coloring and wasn't breathing as hard.

Yeah. I bet this is where the guards are assigned for the mission I was telling you about.

Do you think they would pick trainees on such a critical mission?

They tested us for something, Marco. I bet this was it.

"Isaias? Marco? What are you boys doing here?" A male of slight stature asked. Isaias turned around to meet the caramel eyes of the one guy who was perhaps even more peculiar than them. Coming from the Pionero Familia, Alejandro Pionero had made lieutenant of his specialty before his second year. Some speculated that he had cheated his way in but Isaias knew it was all skill. Right now Alejandro's hawk eyes took in the way Isaias was standing protectively over a shuddering Marco. He knew about Marco's inflection. Who didn't know about the guy who preferred to not be touched, nicknamed the princess because of it? But he didn't know it was so bad! What was a guy like that doing in an Army? Although Alejandro had to give it to Marco, he was really good most days.

"Don't you boy me. I'm only three years younger than you! One in Marco's case," Isaias replied. Alejandro shrugged grinning and hoisted his gun strap further up his shoulder. He never went anywhere without his Guardian. It was a sleeker model than the Destroyers and easier to use. Alejandro's foot tapped the floor. Despite his style, assassination, he always jumped the gun except on missions. He was a sniper and that required a butt load of patience. Maybe he didn't have much left for other circumstances such as this for instance.

"What do you think this is about?" Alejandro asked as he shifted his weight to accommodate the large gun.

"My sister has been telling me of some guard duty. This is probably it," replied Isaias as he shooed off some wiley Guerreros from Marco's side. The grand crystal doors burst open and in stepped his uncle and a dripping Zen. She was wet from top to bottom and was shivering in the cool air while Bernado strode ahead not a speck of water on him. Isaias clenched his fists. The bastard had time to dry but didn't give the same courtesy to his sister? Zen dutifully trodded after Bernado, head high but eyesight pinned on her uncle's wet footprints. Her heels made click-clack noises on the beautiful mosaic tile. They stopped at the front of the room just before the spiraling staircase that would have taken them down to the Guerreros. Instead, Bernado leaned against the veranda and made the signal for silence. The Guerreros stopped talking and paid attention to their Don.

"Welcome! All of you are here for a mission. Two boats will set sail to Argentina by morning. You shall be split into two groups. One will guard the cargo on one boat the other shall guard the cargo and me on that boat. I have brought my niece. She will need a guard so she has come to know and mingle with you. She's a Low so treat her as you must," he finished grinning, and pulled Zen forward almost pushing her down the stairs. For a second Zen glared at him and shoved his hand back so as not to lose her balance, then she descended the stairs head-high.